"Service Rear Vision System" on screen [POSSIBLE RESOLUTION]

• 2 weeks later...

Been having this issue since purchased in May.  Dealer can't figure it out.  Getting ready to file a complaint with somebody.  Very annoying.  Blue screen of death every morning and there's a bulletin about starting up and shifting too quickly into reverse without computer booting up fully.  This is not the issue.  GM needs to fix whatever crap they put in these trucks. 

Yea I'm having this and a ton of other electronics issues. Not sure who you can file a complaint with, but if you figure it out let me know. In my state I don't think electronics qualify under lemon law (unlike powertrain). Seems like I'm going to wind up selling it at a loss once it winds up pissing me off enough.

Edited by dmitrysgarage

On 11/1/2019 at 8:57 PM, Steve Martin said:

Been having this issue since purchased in May.  Dealer can't figure it out.  Getting ready to file a complaint with somebody.  Very annoying.  Blue screen of death every morning and there's a bulletin about starting up and shifting too quickly into reverse without computer booting up fully.  This is not the issue.  GM needs to fix whatever crap they put in these trucks. 

Steve,

Have you found a solution to your back up camera problem .... or gotten hold of someone at GM?

I've just had the 3rd software upgrade and still no joy.

DEAD back up camera camera 1.jpg

On 11/1/2019 at 9:00 PM, dmitrysgarage said:

Yea I'm having this and a ton of other electronics issues. Not sure who you can file a complaint with, but if you figure it out let me know. In my state I don't think electronics qualify under lemon law (unlike powertrain). Seems like I'm going to wind up selling it at a loss once it winds up pissing me off enough.

Have you found a solution to your back up camera problem .... or gotten hold of someone at GM?

On 10/23/2019 at 9:11 AM, FrayedKnot said:

Same issue with mine, updated the computer and still having the issue

Tried to file a complaint with Chevrolet.  Got a case and someone who is working with my dealer to get them to check into my issue.  What?  I can work with my dealer and piss them off every other week with a new appointment to have them fix it...  I'm looking for a tier 2 or tier3 or whatever person who can understand what this is doing to speak with and possible fixes.  I work in software support all day and find defects in our software to address.  This smells of a software defect of some sort to me, but what do I know.  I'm playing nice right now, but very pissed off that something like this is not being dealt with properly.  They are supposed to call me back with a dealer rep to work with to resolve on Monday.  Can't wait to see what he knows about this issue.

Couple of things I suspect and curious about.  I have the Technology package which includes the surround cameras.  I'm curious if it has something to do with this package option.  I drove a loaner without this package and backup camera was 100%.  I'm thinking the difference in this package option is either putting too much stress on the system, overwhelming the computer, or something of that nature.  It's totally random, but if I leave this screen on, after a period of time, again random, it will finally wake up and work.  I timed it on my way to work last week at about 30 minutes.  Then it worked just fine.  Then turned off the truck to stop and get some breakfast and blue screen again for about 2 minutes, then it woke up just before arriving at work.

Where in Long Island are you?  Wife was born and raised in Huntington.  Good luck to all having this issue.  I think it's some sort of software defect GM will have to address.  I doubt it's hardware related.

15 hours ago, Steve Martin said:

Tried to file a complaint with Chevrolet.  Got a case and someone who is working with my dealer to get them to check into my issue.  What?  I can work with my dealer and piss them off every other week with a new appointment to have them fix it...  I'm looking for a tier 2 or tier3 or whatever person who can understand what this is doing to speak with and possible fixes.  I work in software support all day and find defects in our software to address.  This smells of a software defect of some sort to me, but what do I know.  I'm playing nice right now, but very pissed off that something like this is not being dealt with properly.  They are supposed to call me back with a dealer rep to work with to resolve on Monday.  Can't wait to see what he knows about this issue.

Couple of things I suspect and curious about.  I have the Technology package which includes the surround cameras.  I'm curious if it has something to do with this package option.  I drove a loaner without this package and backup camera was 100%.  I'm thinking the difference in this package option is either putting too much stress on the system, overwhelming the computer, or something of that nature.  It's totally random, but if I leave this screen on, after a period of time, again random, it will finally wake up and work.  I timed it on my way to work last week at about 30 minutes.  Then it worked just fine.  Then turned off the truck to stop and get some breakfast and blue screen again for about 2 minutes, then it woke up just before arriving at work.

Where in Long Island are you?  Wife was born and raised in Huntington.  Good luck to all having this issue.  I think it's some sort of software defect GM will have to address.  I doubt it's hardware related.

15 hours ago, Steve Martin said:

Hi Steve,

I live in Southampton, about an hour or so east of Huntington. I do love that town with great restaurants, a laid back vibe and great boating.  I used to live in Bayside Queens ... about 40 minutes west of Huntington and boated the Huntington waters on a regular basis.

I don't know if my problem is hardware or software. Most of the time the back up camera works just fine but every now and then I get the blue screen. It's usually at night and in a dark area where I really need it to function flawlessly.  Another thing that GM did that was truly dumb is that the back up lights don't provide enough light for the camera to function well. If I manually turn on my cab mounted bed light it does help considerably.  I'm going to look at how to make that happen automatically, but not until they fix the camera problem. I don't want to give GM any excuses.

GM is really flawed in the customer service area. So unlike my Genesis and Acura.

I to would love to get hold of an upper echelon factor technician and pick their brain a bit.

I tried not shifting into gear until everything on the screen is active, including the nav but this doesn't seem to help.

I feel this problem is akin to when your home computer doesn't see a peripheral keyboard, mouse or thumb drive.

If you get anywhere with this snafu please drop me a line.

So after being without my truck for over a week, the problem of service rear vision system was cleared,  two weeks after and it’s back.  I drove a total of 400 miles and the dam thing is not working.  I’m at the point now where I am talking to the dealer to unload this thing.  I’m done,  67k Denali, 2300 miles

my dealer replaced the radio module and reprogrammed with all updates during the original repair effort,

Edited by jbshoo

Looks like I joined the unfortunate group of Silverado owners.  Just bought a new 2019 Silverado.  I have only had the truck for two weeks and this issue has happened twice.  First time the problem lasted for the day and the second time cleared the next time I drove the truck.  The dealer said they can't do anything unless I bring the truck in while it is having the problem.  I asked them what they could possibly tell by looking at the screen vs looking at a picture of the screen and of course they didn't have an answer.  Just their way of putting me off.  Based on the posts here it doesn't sound like this is something that gets fixed at the dealership.  It seems to me that GM should be pursuing this across the dealerships instead of individually.

How is this not a recall yet? I'd suggest filing complaints with NHTSA. Backup cameras are required by law on all new vehicles since 2018. If it is not working, it is a violation of the law and GM has to address it. I plan on filing one just for my camera being so fuzzy at night, it's basically unusable.

Thanks god I don't have the problem, yet... I've only had my truck for a week though.

3 hours ago, JDP Ranch said:

Any notice it happening when you turn on the truck and shift into gear immediately? That seems to be the reason mine blue screens.

I've tried all sorts of combinations in an attempt to replicate the problem with a degree of reliability so that I can actually demonstrate it to the dealer.

I've taken photos of reach time it happens with a time stamp but there is no logic to when and where.

At first I thought it was happening more presently at night when the headlights were on but that's not the case.

I've tried shifting into gear as soon as I start the truck but that seems to have no effect.

It's presently happening once or twice a week.

My dealer in Riverhead NY has checked and updated software 4 times to no avail.

The last time was a week ago.

I drove out and later that same day, bingo, it happened again.

They are supposedly trying to get a tier 2 or 3 tech at GM to voice in.

THIS SUCKS