Midnight Edition w/ plow

Hi. I was contemplating finding an old beater to do some plowing (not commercial, just 2-3 driveways). I already own a 2003 Tacoma and the 2018 Silverado 2500 HD. I have heard that plowing with the smaller truck might not be the best idea since it could do a number on the front end and the frame. I thought about maybe getting a plow for the Silverado but would hate to clutter up the front end with an ugly mount. I guess I’m curious if the mounts themselves are easy to remove once winter is over. I don’t want any tabs or anything sticking out.

For full transparency, I’ve never plowed before, so another part of me does think that if i had an old truck and did something stupid during my learning curve, I wouldn’t feel as bad as opposed to damaging a $60,000 truck.

I’d also be curious if any other members had a picture of a Midnight Edition with a plow in it.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're just doing your own drive way plus a few local neighbors / family members maybe consider a Meyer Homeplow.. It just requires a 2" receiver up front and none of the pumps etc are mounted to the truck... Also easy to take off and roll aside in the garage... I am considering one for my 1500 to plow my 450' drive way and two other 100' drive ways (parents & inlaws)

I can't imagine that you'd be able to hurt a 2500 HD pickup by plowing a few driveways, 2500's are made to do some serious work.. Will it maybe be a touch harder on the front end parts? Depends on how many times you have to push snow and how rough the driveways are...

Silverado plows great and doing just a few driveways won’t hurt it a bit. As far as the mount,  IMO no way would it be worth the effort to remove and install each season, they don’t look that bad and you get accustomed to seeing it.  

Here's my Fisher Minute Mount 2 on my 15 HD - the mounts are very good regarding how they stick out ... actually very tight to the bumper,   they are in the position of the tow hooks and the tow hooks remain installed and functional

Most like Fisher uses electric only under the hood to run the hydraulic pump that is all on the external plow frame that you take off when not in use ...

so your truck will have just 2 electric plugs (hidden if installed right) and the two lower mounts ... in off season

Plowing is easy ... slow & aware ... you'll catch on in 1 small snow storm - not much to worry about - truck or plow are top notch strong - your truck warranty will still be in effect

My guess - you will not regret having an electric hydraulic plow set up, and preferably at least 8', Fisher is very common in the Northeast

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

Edited by Cosmic Charlie

Wow. I had no idea they were so obscure. I guess I’m used to the old plows that had the hydraulics hanging off the grill in the off season.  That looks very doable.  

This is is probably a very open-ended question, but are some plows better than others, especially for a newbie?