Leveling key question

I have never had a truck with keys before and now I do what is the difference in turning up the stock keys vs buying new ones and what’s the deal with the 26” measurement from the hub to finder all about the axle angle? I had a 3” leveling kit on my 15 1500 and no diff drop and never had a problem just looking for some insight about a leveling kit and how to do it myself I have always done all my own work with no problem. I will probably go with the zone 2” lift witch is keys and blocks 

Turning up stock keys vs installing new ones:

1. available stock key adjustment left from factory varies by truck, depending on how much more height you want out of the front end.  The dealer leveled mine from day one with new keys and shock spacers

2. This work by the dealer resulted in an unpleasant ride over any bumps, road imperfections, etc due to the fact that the upper Control arms had far less clearance now over the frame stops.  Raising the front also put my front diff, and as a result, cv’s at a bad or “bound up” angle.  I fixed the issues above with aftermarket upper control arms (CCM motorsports) and a front diff drop spacers (CCM motorsports).  

The addition of the aftermarket UCA’s and diff spacers dramatically improved the ride, no question.  If I were going to keep my truck much longer I’d go ahead and add some Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners as well to additionally improve the ride.  

Leveling with keys (or factory keys), shock spacers, adding the new UCA’s and diff drop are to me the bare minimum items needed to level it with minimal to no impact on the stock ride quality.  

All info above was done on a 2017 crew 4wd, FYI.  Only thing I’d do different is get some tubular UCA’s instead of the boxed ones that CCM/cognito/kryptonite sell.....so that my 295/70-18’s on factory wheels wouldn’t rub on the upper control arms as bad as they do now.  It’s become pretty annoying.