Display units

randy.channell

Question

11 answers to this question

On '14 GM product, my suspicion is you'd have to reprogram the BCM to a USA version ... but not sure how that would work with a Canadian speedometer. There could be a separate reflash for just units of measure.

Just FYI - you don't have to go do a dealer to do this. Any mobile diagnostic tech, or most private shops will be capable. They have to pay GM for the service info, so it won't be super cheap, even though it could take as little as 5 minutes to do. In fact, I'd go anywhere but the dealer, to ensure a trouble free procedure.

• Like 1

Ahh, yeah everything is digital now. I keep forgetting what year it is! :lol: 

Hopefully the shop has the capability. Keep us posted.

Hard to say. Some might charge an hour labor, plus GM's fees - labor rates vary wildly across the country. Up here in the Northeast, most are well north of $100/hour. Also depends on if the tech is buying the service data by the vehicle, or has a monthly, or yearly subscription.

It gets expensive for the tech, not even taking into account the laptop, J-box, mission-specific battery charger ($500 and up), and leads (wires). All together, well north of $2k.

The type of guy you should be searching for is a mobile tech that specializes in repairing drivability complaints, or a shop that does the same. Usually they'll advertise that, plus programming / reflashing, etc.. They can be tough to find, depending on where you live. Around me, nobody does this - you'd have to travel a considerable distance.  If you're near Pittsburg, PA, I'd highly recommend Paul Danner. If you're near or on Staten Island, Keith DeFazio of New Level Auto.

Edited by Jsdirt

You're welcome. Good luck in the search.

*UPDATE*
Bcm reflash does nothing but cost money. Dealer reprogrammed everything for no gain. They then called up north to find hardware needs changed. I called the number they gave me, got transferred to someone not at there phone. Awaiting a call back. [emoji34]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Exactly why I tell everyone to NEVER go to a dealer, especially for this sort of thing. Have to use a mobile guy, or a shop that specializes in drivability / programming. Steer clear of the dealer!

Hope you get it sorted out. 

Edited by Jsdirt

Reprogramming alone will never fix your problem. They enter the vin and download the software. They need to call Techline to get the vin/software association changed. They will get a VCI number. Once in the system, it will always program US.