Xpel Protection / 19 Trailboss

On 5/8/2019 at 9:59 AM, L86 All Terrain said:

GM's truck paint has been crap since the water-based paint came in and screwed our lives up. 

It seems to be very common among all manufacturers these days. My co-worker's 2016 F-150 had dozens of little paint chips after just a few months. Same with another guy's 2017 Tacoma OR. He said there are hundreds of complaints over how easily the new Tacoma's paint chips up. I'm guessing the clear coat and paint are harder than they used to be. So hard that they tend to act brittle when a little rock hits it at high speed. These films add a soft boundary layer to protect it. At least that's the theory I got from the detailing guys.

Blah. Already spoke to my detailer about ceramic coating the entire truck once it shows up, but after reading this thread I’m thinking maybe I should have the front end Wrapped before hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked my truck up this afternoon and I'm more than impressed with the Xpel install. I wound up having the bumper, grill, headlights and door step plates covered. This was my first experience with the film so I didn't know what to expect. I also had the shop tint my front windows while it was there. So for know I'm hoping for the best...

• 2 years later...
On 5/5/2019 at 2:01 PM, TrailDemon said:

Im a PPF tech and I did full truck.  It definitely adds  extra gloss touch and Protection. Not sure if you guys can tell the difference on this pic (top of rear bumper has film and bottom didn’t at that moment). 

I suggest you to go with the thickest film available lat the shop you getting it done . Good luck!

626E1316-01E4-403C-AE81-7C1282401FAA.jpeg

So is that how it gets installed? Piece by piece with a bunch of lines everywhere? I like the idea of added protection but don’t want a sloppy install with lines everywhere. If it was in one piece like a proper wrap then I’d do it for sure.