Suspension : Stock spring replacement for softer ride

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Yea, about that. Two schools. Heavy springs and no bar or light springs and a heavy bar. I go to school #2. Of course it matters. A sway bar forces both springs to react to one wheels deflection. :wtf:

The whole point of a sway bar it to allow the softest spring possible to be used to allow each wheel the maximum of compliance with the road. Stiff springs and light or no bar only work well on glass smooth tracks. 

Right there with you! I feel the OE setup has a stiff spring AND a stiff sway bar. Hardly ideal. That's why when I go Thuren King 2.5s I'll be requesting 600 lb springs :) and put my sway bar back on! 

Edited by lucas287

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

My opinion either, but it doesn't mean you're wrong. 😉 Love my Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II street tires. Don't need no stink' n road force balancing. Not a tire on her required more than 2 Oz of weights. Smooth as glass.

IMHO RFB is for badly flawed tires.  

RFB is indeed fickle. I always stand on the floor and watch/talk to tech and sometimes it just isn't going to make a situation much better. I think it is a very useful diagnostic tool. If you RFB 4 tires and 1 is excessive...replace it. Without the RFB you probably just would've lived with it. Also, just FYI I've had tires that took very little weight to balance but were still not round. You can balance a cube right? Doesn't mean it will roll very well though. The RFB machine quickly discovered it was the tire we least suspected due to weights. 

7 hours ago, lucas287 said:

RFB is indeed fickle. I always stand on the floor and watch/talk to tech and sometimes it just isn't going to make a situation much better. I think it is a very useful diagnostic tool. If you RFB 4 tires and 1 is excessive...replace it. Without the RFB you probably just would've lived with it. Also, just FYI I've had tires that took very little weight to balance but were still not round. You can balance a cube right? Doesn't mean it will roll very well though. The RFB machine quickly discovered it was the tire we least suspected due to weights. 

You sort of made my point for me. The tire is defective if it isn't round. But I get what your saying. Yes as a diagnostic tool but not as a solution. 

When I buy new tires I tell my guy, NO EGGS UR SNAKES. If it doesn't roll concentric and true, it's junk IMHO. When I'm paying near $200 a tire I expect it to be right. He agrees and we've sent tires back till pigs flew. You also have to give them a fighting chance. When the tires are off the rims we spin them to assure I haven't bent or dented one and replace or repair as required.

I also insist on matching dates of manufacture and no older than 12 months or newer than 3.