2009 Chevy tahoe headlight/DRL issue

MacUSMC

Question

So after a minor collision causing me to replace most of the front end cosmetics of my tahoe, I've had an issue with my headlights ever since. Never had this issue before. At night, ONE DRL will stay on. That headlights park light will not work on that headlight unlike the other. Checked all bulbs and none are blown. Still can't figure out the issue. Any ideas? 

unnamed.jpg

6 answers to this question

Take a look at the socket of both the parking light and the DRL light.  Make sure that the bulbs do not have a filament broken and dropping down on the other filament.  The easy way to check ground is to use a test light and connect it to the positive post on battery and touch the socket or the ground strap on the socket.  When on positive cable, you want the test light to come on.  If you connect your test light to a good ground, and poke around everywhere on the parking light/DRL light.  What you do not want is the light to come on.   Your issue really sounds like a bad socket/ground or a broken filament in the bulb.  If your front end is like the 2010 GMC it is a bitch to try to even get to the parking lights/headlights to check stuff.  On my truck you have to remove the headlight assy to change any of the lights.  This is the first vehicle I have owned that required me to go to my big tool box just to change a parking light bulb.  My big tool box lives at my buddy's house since I can't work on the truck on my own anymore.

9 hours ago, Doug_Scott said:

Take a look at the socket of both the parking light and the DRL light.  Make sure that the bulbs do not have a filament broken and dropping down on the other filament.  The easy way to check ground is to use a test light and connect it to the positive post on battery and touch the socket or the ground strap on the socket.  When on positive cable, you want the test light to come on.  If you connect your test light to a good ground, and poke around everywhere on the parking light/DRL light.  What you do not want is the light to come on.   Your issue really sounds like a bad socket/ground or a broken filament in the bulb.  If your front end is like the 2010 GMC it is a bitch to try to even get to the parking lights/headlights to check stuff.  On my truck you have to remove the headlight assy to change any of the lights.  This is the first vehicle I have owned that required me to go to my big tool box just to change a parking light bulb.  My big tool box lives at my buddy's house since I can't work on the truck on my own anymore.

Hahaha I feel you on that. Haven't had the time to tear apart the front end just to get to the lights. My concern now is, why is one DRL on at night? But the park light isnt?

4 hours ago, MacUSMC said:

Hahaha I feel you on that. Haven't had the time to tear apart the front end just to get to the lights. My concern now is, why is one DRL on at night? But the park light isnt?

You sure you have the sockets installed in the right spots?  My truck(2010 GMC Sierra uses the headlights for daytime running lights,  and the parking lights are the second filament in the signals. The picture you posted looks like both your DRL and parking lights are both amber, is that correct?  Do they both use the same bulb and sockets as well?  You can also look into each socket after removing the bulbs and note whether the sockets are for single or dual filament bulbs, and verify that the bulbs are also for single or dual filaments.  Try swapping the bulbs side to side and see if the issue also moves over.

9 hours ago, Doug_Scott said:

You sure you have the sockets installed in the right spots?  My truck(2010 GMC Sierra uses the headlights for daytime running lights,  and the parking lights are the second filament in the signals. The picture you posted looks like both your DRL and parking lights are both amber, is that correct?  Do they both use the same bulb and sockets as well?  You can also look into each socket after removing the bulbs and note whether the sockets are for single or dual filament bulbs, and verify that the bulbs are also for single or dual filaments.  Try swapping the bulbs side to side and see if the issue also moves over.

I was just thinking that. I'll have to take a look and let you know! Just ran into the SAME issue with my taillights.