2011 Silverado 5.3 4x4 tight steering all the time

I used to have a 2004 silverado and it was so easy to steer that I was completely spoiled.  I then moved to a Ram, then F150, and am now back in an 11 silverado and the steering is quite a bit more difficult than I would like.  There is no real difference in effort required between idle speeds and highway speeds so i think something in the power steering sensor system might be faulty.  I read that there is a speed sensor that adjust how much hydraulic fluid goes through the system based on vehicle speed.  So steering is nice and easy in the parking lot, and more difficult at highway speeds to keep from oversteering and swerving.  I could find a thread about someone actually fixing this kind of problem without just throwing parts at it.  I don't really want to go through the hassle of replacing a power steering pump and draining all the fluid, etc... if there is something else more logical that could be causing this issue.  There is no noise from the steering system, except for a slight rubber on metal squeak from the steering column but I can lube that later.  For now i want to be able to steer very easily in the parking lot.

Thoughts?