Tailgate Release Issue with TruXedo TruXport

So I had one of these on my 2016 double cab. Loved it. Great value and features for the price. When I turned my lease in I sold it on craiglist and promptly ordered another one to fit my new 19 crew. Anyhow, it's basically the same model with some nice improvements in the seals and the rollup straps.

I've been in contact for a few weeks with their customer service who has been great, but unable to solve my issue. I thought I would turn to the group to see if anyone else has this cover and does or doesn't have the problem. When using my fob to release the tailgate it catches on the cover's weather seal. 

https://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/truxedo-truxport-roll-up-tonneau-cover

Here's a video I made demonstrating the issue. thanks all

It's the friction and weight from the cover.  That's why I went away from my Extang Trifecta and into a Truxedo Lo Pro.  The Lo Pro has no contact with the tailgate top.  I've read elsewhere of guys lightly greasing the bottom of the cover to reduce the friction with the tailgate.  You could also try to shim the back and re-tighten the clamps to raise the back side up a bit.

yeah I'm pretty close to the window as is. Looks like yours is touching and I'm not sure I want to go that route. I'll measure though and see what I can do. 

I was also thinking of greasing/taping the weather stripping up as i don't see a real need for it. the seal in my 16 was just fine without it.

looks like i'm even farther back than you. I think I have it narrowed down to the weather stripping being to wide and have asked if they can send me a thinner strip as I was able to "fix" the issue by using electrical tape to life the stripping up.

IMG_7538.thumb.JPG.63f7d143c2d5d26f7312a002ee2405b6.JPG

IMG_7545.thumb.JPG.c59520d307fc1eb419254079396c7965.JPG

Edited by Belo

That's crazy. I wonder why yours is farther back and it still catches. Maybe the covers aren't the same length? Also, the cover isn't actually touching the window. I was trying to show where the weather stripping on the bottom of the back rail was in relation to the back of the bed. It honestly took me 4 times of taking it off and shifting it back before it wouldn't catch. That absolutely drove me crazy because the tailgate release is cool but it's also really handy. 

On 7/23/2019 at 1:39 PM, tstephansen said:

That's crazy. I wonder why yours is farther back and it still catches. Maybe the covers aren't the same length? Also, the cover isn't actually touching the window. I was trying to show where the weather stripping on the bottom of the back rail was in relation to the back of the bed. It honestly took me 4 times of taking it off and shifting it back before it wouldn't catch. That absolutely drove me crazy because the tailgate release is cool but it's also really handy. 

customer support thinks the rails might be too far apart still. I've adjusted this thing a few times and I'm going to give it one more shot, but if I recall they cant get in any closer. Worst case I might just trim 1/8" off the stripping (not sure how to do this accurately and easily lol) and be done with it. It's bothersome but not the end of the world. the tailgate release is just a neat feature to show people when they ask about the truck. so the fact that it doesn't work kinda sucks.