2019 Canyon squeaks

Hey everyone,

My friend just bought a 2019 Canyon Denali a few months ago and on a recent road trip we both noticed a squeak coming from the rear of the cab when going over bumps. He couldn't figure out where it was so I figured I'd try this forum to see if anyone knows where it might be coming from if anyone has dealt with this before. It sounds to me like it's coming from the rear seat behind the driver.

Don't attempt to repair any squeaks yourself while the vehicle is under warranty.  You may create an issue that will create an issue with warranty.  Get your friend to take the truck in for any squeaks/rattles as soon as you can.  This will create a paper trail that may come in handy later on.  Not saying you will have issues in the future with dealers, just saying that while the truck is eligible for free repairs, take them up on their offer.  Try to find the correct procedure to create the noise/rattle every time.  He may also want to create a list of any issues he has found, or any issues passengers have found.  Passengers tend to not be blinded by new vehicle pride.

• 2 months later...

i have a 2016 gmc canyon, that makes a loud squeak when going over speed bumps, i have taken it to gm dealerships and they have replaced calipers, caliper slide pins and leaf springs, applied non squeak grease and the back of my brake pads. and i still have the concern, they told me they called gm tech force and all they have to say is its an issue they are researching still to try and solve. im curious if there is anyone out there that might have had or fixed this issue.

In Dec 2018 I bought a 2018 Canyon SLT. A few months later i started hearing a squeak coming from under the truck. After going to 2 dealers, they could not solve it. It sounded like rusty bed springs when going over bumps. Today i got underneath the truck. The parking brake cables located just under the drivers side rear door were rubbing against a steel bracket. I moved them a little and wrapped them with duct tape. No more squeak. Amazing. The second dealer wanted to replace the leaf spring mounts. I hope this helps. 

On 7/19/2019 at 11:46 PM, swoleymammoth said:

Hey everyone,

My friend just bought a 2019 Canyon Denali a few months ago and on a recent road trip we both noticed a squeak coming from the rear of the cab when going over bumps. He couldn't figure out where it was so I figured I'd try this forum to see if anyone knows where it might be coming from if anyone has dealt with this before. It sounds to me like it's coming from the rear seat behind the driver.

• 3 months later...

The dealer r replaced lower intermediate shaft on steering (pt#84039333) back in 2017 (could it have come loose?) it seemed to work foe awhile.. I think I've tried almost  everything , but like I said I'm taking it to the dealer next Tuesday.I tested it the other day and it makes that darn noise in a bad road at 10 to 15 miles per hr and sounds almost coming from front on drivers side. Go figure. Thanks for the input . Stevie

I don't have a solution, but a suggestion. Have your friend flip the rear seat backs down, then drive around and see if the squeak is still heard. If not, then the connection points of the seat are the culprit. If it still squeaks try raising the rear seat bottoms and doing the same test. If neither of these changes affect the outcome, then it may be something external.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I had this on my 2019 Colorado coming from the rear axle. it was 2 separate things, the rear brake pads have little tabs either side that hold them in place and over time they polish themselves in the caliper causing the squeak. use some grease on the tabs to clear it up or do what i did and replace the entire brake system with a big brake kit from Alcon. the other is the leaf sping bushings, not much to do there but lube occasionally or replace.

• 4 months later...

The quick release clamps that hold the rear seat backs to the rear of the cab squeaked on my truck. Noticed the paint worn off the metal hook posts one day when I had the rear seat backs folded down. I wrapped the metal hook posts with electrical tape, pushed the seat backs into position and the squeak went away, been squeak free several years.