My *Honest* Level Kit and 33s (275/60/20) Review!

Hi guys,

Thought some may appreciate or find useful an honest review of a leveling kit and all terrain tires from a guy who does not say that his truck gets 25mpg running 80mph.

Leveling kit - ProComp 2.25".  I did not do anything in the rear, however, I just ordered Hellwig 987 helper springs as it starts to sag pretty quick now that it sits like really level.  Hoping that these will keep me pretty level, I don't haul much weight at all, just a couple snowmobiles or atvs.

Tires - Falken Wildpeak P275/60/20 (I know, not true 33x12.5s or whatever but still a 33" tire).  Why did I choose these? I love the way look.  They're cheaper than a BFG KO2, which would have been my first pick however I just wasn't wanting to drop the coin for those. Also, quite honestly I was interested in keeping a P rated tire to minimize ride quality, mpg, and "performance" impact. Their snow rated too!

I've been driving with this setup for about 3,000 miles now.

Here is a short version of the below:

Ride Quality - overall, truck actually rides better.

"Performance" - no noticeable loss. Don't have any stats such as 0-60 to prove this.

MPG - remained same for city/suburban driving (16-17.5mpg).  Highway I lost a solid 1mpg ( down to 18mpg instead of the usual 19 or so running ~75mph).

Ride Quality:

In most scenarios, the trucks rides better than it did factory.  I contribute this most likely because of the slightly taller sidewall.  I drive the same route to work day in and day out and have to go over the same pot hole patches day in and day out.  On a lot of the patches, my keys no longer bang the steering column like they did with the stock LS2s (tires absorbing the impact). A lot less interior rattling too.

I do notice a loss of quality under a specific road condition, such as a quick dip in the road.  I feel that the truck kind of smacks me back in the face so to speak.  I'm sure this is due to the leveling kit and how it messes with the shocks and I'm sure it has a bit to do with how the weight gets shifted back a bit since the truck is no longer "leaning forward".

"Performance":

Don't really notice any difference here... have no hard numbers to prove this though.  I'm sure it would be slightly slower in a 0-60.

MPG:

First of all, yes, I do correct for the large tire size.  I did some math comparing the revolutions per mile stock vs new tires and found that I need to multiply by 1.03, or add 3%, to my trip meter to get an accurate mileage.  I also find that my DIC is pretty spot on now (without any correction), looks like the 3% difference kind of washes out the "inaccuracy" of the DIC.

• City/Suburbia (25 - 45mph stop lights every mile) - mileage remained more or less unchanged.  I keep getting hand calced numbers between 16-17.5mpg. This is the exact same as before.  Wide range, some days traffic is worse than others. Might hit more green lights some days, while other days I sit idle for 2-4 stop light cycles (hate that!).
  • Highway -
    • I did a 1 hour 30 minute round trip run on the highway cruise set at 74mph - hand calced out to 18.3mpg.  Definitely a loss, I typically would get 19-20 mpg on a run like that.
    • We just came back from vacation and on the last leg of the highway drive after a fill up, traffic was a little slower, did a lot of 65-70mph, v4 engaging on and off a bit.  I was unable to fill up right when I got home.  Ended up putting on 40 miles over the next two days for my work commute (suburban driving)  and finally filled up - hand calced to 20mpg flat, DIC said 19.9mpg.  I was really surprised at this.  DIC said I was getting 21.7mpg while I was on the highway on that last leg.  I'm not sure I was actually getting 21mpg but who knows.
    • Overall I would confidently say I lost 1 to 1.5mpg on highway and will likely see a consistent 18mpg or so running ~75mph as I usually do (used to get between 19 - 19.5).

Thanks for reading if you made it this far.  Hope this helps with some who are thinking of leveling/tires.  Happy to answer any questions (related to this topic haha), honestly (even if it means I have to admit something awful).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by SkiDooNick700

28 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

You’re running stock wheels with 33” tires on a 2.25” front level and no rub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't  hear or feel it.  I need to crank the wheel all the way and get out and look.  My truck frame and all components are Ziebart undercoated, I haven't  noticed it wearing off the control arm from tire rub.  Ill get back to you on this.  For what its worth, I have steel control arms.

19 minutes ago, CombsL83 said:

Curious how long you’ve had it Ziebart’d. I’ve not seen any good things about their undercoating. Typically see that it traps moisture inside and speeds up the corrosion process ?

Its off topic but Ill still answer ?

Yes, I also read the same things as you. I read good things and bad things and decided to roll the dice.  I Ziebarted it a few months after getting it.  Novemeber 2015 is when it was done, so, coming up on the 4th year.  So far so good... no idea whats going on under it tho as you mentioned.  My frame is always black tho! Time will tell....

I don't  hear or feel it.  I need to crank the wheel all the way and get out and look.  My truck frame and all components are Ziebart undercoated, I haven't  noticed it wearing off the control arm from tire rub.  Ill get back to you on this.  For what its worth, I have steel control arms.

You’ve got a 14 -15?

9 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

You’ve got a 14 -15?

9 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

You’re lucky, 14-15 had the steel uca’s. Mine is an 18 and had to buy new wheels lol

That is correct, I have a 2015, April build.

9 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Truck looks good Nick. Thanks for the info.

Thank you, sir!

I had the 2.25” level installed up front and mine rode like a wagon especially with larger AT tires, then I got rid of the crappy leveling kit and did a 4.5”-5” CST Lift, added larger tires and even rides tons better especially with Coil Overs.

Leveled:
b021d9052fade0862646845a6dd75b76.jpg

Lifted:
6e026370ded1954aca7b83920d82d0f2.jpg

Seems like you think people are embellishing mpg claims

My DIC will say 26-28mpg@ 65-70mph cruise on a flat surface in the summer. I am 100% not lying or embellishing and anyone could drive my truck and get the same result.

80mph my DIC is telling me I’m getting 21-23mpg.

If you were getting considerably lower than that before your tires you may have some sort of minor issue that’s causing mpg drop.

I get 10-11mpg city fyi. So I don’t have a freak truck. Your definition of city is a stop every mile or so. Mine is a stop every 1/8th to 1/4 mile, all 25mph speed limits.

Edited by truckguy82

12 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

You’ve got a 14 -15?

Wait all 14-15’s have steel? Couple years ago it was a big mystery and you had to check your uca’s to verify. I thought it was possible for a ‘14-‘15 to have aluminum.

Wait all 14-15’s have steel? Couple years ago it was a big mystery and you had to check your uca’s to verify. I thought it was possible for a ‘14-‘15 to have aluminum.

Apparently, they started introducing the change in later model 15’s.