Purchase a new '19 AT4 or Denali?? Help Please

paulny

41 minutes ago, paulny said:

Great advice and I agree the price isn't great.  I have contacted every GMC dealer within a 300 mile radius that has a 6.2 and is equipped the way I want (loaded with all options basically).  Tragically, the AT4 is rare in my neck of the woods (upstate NY) and especially when configured to my liking.  For whatever reason, the few dealers that I did contact that had a 6.2 were all around $6k off sticker and none would budge further.  They stated that the AT4 is in high demand and loaded with the 6.2 are very rare.  Thus, around $6k is the best I am seeing so far.  What improvements does the 2020's have?

Id wait for a better deal. I know my local dealership had 6.2 AT4s that were fully loaded around May for 13-14k off msrp. Right now I think they’re only around 7k. Just seems like not a great time to buy. If you’re not in a hurry wait it out and I’m sure you can get at least 10k off. 

11 minutes ago, Wheelguy said:

2020 is supposed to have improved suspension & will have camera based adaptive cruise control & supposedly more cameras. The 5.3 will get paired with the 10 speed transmission.  Not sure about prices on the 2020s but I’d expect them to be a little more money & less likely to come down on price.

For the price difference, the AT4 seems like the better buy but it won’t have Adaptive Ride Control & the lift/different tires result in a 1mpg less avg. rating on the highway. So after that, it’s down to looks. If you want chrome, go for the Denali. If you want a lifted truck with more black trim, get the AT4.

I’m quite pleased with my Denali but I’m sure if my tastes leaned towards the blackout & lifted look with off-road tires that I’d be just as pleased with it. I’m a former owner of a 2016 with the 5.3 & 8 speed & the 10 speed is the transmission you want. The 8 speed was just weird when downshifting at lower gears & I had a missing out sensation that resulted in a fluid swap @ ~35k miles or so. Was the reason I went with the 6.2 this time. I think I read somewhere that the 8 speed can have "learning issues" on occasion & that’s mainly what causes all the odd sounds & shifting. The 5.3 was great on mileage & is a good engine but I was just over the 8 speed weirdness. Not everyone experiences the weirdness so I opted to stay away from it.

There are a few bugs or mechanical issues yet to be fixed for 2019 but that should be expected with the first year of a new gen. Nothing too serious just mostly annoyances. Remember, much of the truck is almost like a computer & at times they need a reset so you may encounter oddities where you shut the truck off with weird things happening & start it a whole later & all is well. Mostly with the Infotainment & touchscreen climate controls. Don’t let that run you off though. PPF at least the painted bumper ASAP - can have terrible chipping from road rocks.

You should enjoy either truck immensely.

Thanks for the heads up!  I did forget to mention that my dealer also has a $2k trade up rebate if you are trading a '99 or newer truck.  So, really my discount is $8k with $2k being that it is applied to my trade which they are giving me a smokin' price on..I am very happy.

The AT4 was built in August and arrived at the dealer 2 days ago so it's "fresh".  I am hoping that since it's such a late '19 build date that maybe some of the bug fixes are being applied or worked out.  I just looked at the 2020 changes and I do not like the black gloss grille that will be on all 4 colors.  I prefer the color matched grille on the '19, so I will definitely not wait on a '20.  Also, I would never use the camera based cruise control and agree dealers will deal much more on the '19's before they deal on the '20's.

I am leaning toward the AT4 since I am not big on Chrome and respectively I am sure the adaptive ride control is really nice but don't know how reliable it will remain here in upstate NY over time.  

Thanks so much for responding and I will definitely PPF the front bumper.  

I have a volume dealer about an hour from me in Arkansas. They have 16  2019 AT4’s in stock and 12 of em have 6.2engine. They have a 10,000 discount listed online for the most expensive ones. I have bought 5 pickups from them and went in a couple of months ago to trade but changed my mind. They offered me 12,000 off and 2,000 above kbb value on my trade. 

Right now they already have 23 2020 models in. Every one of them have the 6.2 engine. Not listing any discounts on them yet but I am sure you could get several thousand off.

Looks like there is no problem for a dealer to get a 6.2 AT4 if they order them. I think your dealer is just not ordering them. They are for sure not trying to give you a deal.

https://www.everettbgmc.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&year=2020&model=Sierra 1500&trim=Crew Cab Short Box 4-Wheel Drive AT4

Edited by Country Bumpkin

I have a volume dealer about an hour from me in Arkansas. They have 16  2019 AT4’s in stock and 12 of em have 6.2engine. They have a 10,000 discount listed online for the most expensive ones. I have bought 5 pickups from them and went in a couple of months ago to trade but changed my mind. They offered me 12,000 off and 2,000 above kbb value on my trade. 

Right now they already have 23 2020 models in. Every one of them have the 6.2 engine. Not listing any discounts on them yet but I am sure you could get several thousand off.

Looks like there is no problem for a dealer to get a 6.2 AT4 if they order them. I think your dealer is just not ordering them. They are for sure not trying to give you a deal.

Dealers only get a certain amount of allocations. Higher volume dealers get more allocations. The dealer I bought mine from just told me last week that he still can't get any AT4's in.

I agree that you need to find a volume dealer and be willing to drive there if you want something specific that no one else has. They'll often times sell it cheaper because they just want to move a unit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, BringTheRain403 said:

Dealers only get a certain amount of allocations. Higher volume dealers get more allocations. The dealer I bought mine from just told me last week that he still can't get any AT4's in.

I agree that you need to find a volume dealer and be willing to drive there if you want something specific that no one else has. They'll often times sell it cheaper because they just want to move a unit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That's a great deal for those of you down south.  I have a trade and we get trade in tax credit in NY, so that helps.  If not, I would fly down and buy one and drive it back if those discounts are legit and I would qualify for all the rebates.  I wonder why they are not selling there?

9 hours ago, paulny said:

That's a great deal for those of you down south.  I have a trade and we get trade in tax credit in NY, so that helps.  If not, I would fly down and buy one and drive it back if those discounts are legit and I would qualify for all the rebates.  I wonder why they are not selling there?

They are selling here. This is a volume dealer. They get two or three transports of vehicles a day from GM and sell several hundred vehicles a month across the GMC and Buick lineup. They don’t make their money off the deal. They make their money from GM for the amount of units they move. The more they move, the more they make.

We also receive a tax credit on our trade-ins. They give you 20,000 on your trade, that’s 20,000 off the top you pay no tax on. I have bought several vehicles out of state and still get that credit when I go to license the vehicle. In Arkansas you don’t pay the tax at the dealership. You take the paperwork to the DMV and pay the tax and license the vehicle.

I can assure you the discounts are legit. As I stated, their online pricing is a starting point. When I went in, they started out at 11,000 off MSRP and 1000.00 over top kbb price on my trade. Then they went up to 2000.00 on my trade. The next morning, my salesman called me and said they would come off 12,000 on the MSRP. Only reason I didn’t buy is we are looking at a new house. 2020 models will be discounted this next fall. LOL. They are a great dealership. My wife is on her 4th Infiniti QX80 we bought from their Infiniti dealership across the interstate. They also have a Chevrolet and Ford dealership.

If you want to save some money, drive your trade down there and enjoy a road trip. Call my salesman, Brian Cornwell, and tell him Russell sent you. He can assure you, the prices are legit. I have bought 5 trucks from him.  Good luck on your purchase no matter where you buy.

Edited by Country Bumpkin