Adding Foglights-Depinning Connector at Block

Adding the factory foglights to my '19 GMC Sierra. I'm at the point where it comes to removing the wire connector from the body 2 in the UEC. I'm having a hell of time releasing present B3 wire connector socket from the block. I know it has to lock tabs on either side but unable to get it free. Tried using tiny allen wrenches, paperclips with no luck. What's the trick???

42 minutes ago, BronzeSierra said:

Adding the factory foglights to my '19 GMC Sierra. I'm at the point where it comes to removing the wire connector from the body 2 in the UEC. I'm having a hell of time releasing present B3 wire connector socket from the block. I know it has to lock tabs on either side but unable to get it free. Tried using tiny allen wrenches, paperclips with no luck. What's the trick???

I too had trouble with this. Messed with it so much that I ended up unsheathing the wire on the underside. Even bought this which is made to do the job and didn’t have success. Ultimately gave up in hopes I can have the dealer do this one step as part of the one hour labor they will charge me to update the BCM. Let’s be real; they’re not spending an hour for a program flash. Shouldn’t be an unreasonable ask. 

• 3 weeks later...

Figured it out, there are secondary locks on the sides of the block. Pop the one out closest to the wire your working on and release the pin. Wire connector comes out easy peasy once you know how, no special tools needed!

Too bad I had to return the fog light kit because the one light assy had a broken piece of plastic inside, and they were backordered for a replacement. So I returned for credit. No lights but know how to wire them. Wth

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi all,

Resurrecting an old thread here because I just went thru my install of these fog lights and the step to install the wire into the UEC was a HUGE PIA!!!! Biggest reason was that per the instructions if there's a wire installed at B3 you must remove it and then install the supplied harness wire. Looks easy enough in the instructions but not lol. I also believe that you need to do this if your installing the upfitter package so this may help there as well.

So I'm going to post some notes/highlights and pics here for those that want to under take this install themselves. The install instructions are pretty straight forward. When it comes to the step of opening the UEC take your time. The four mounting bolts that hold the UEC to the wire harnesses terminals below are captured so you really wont know if they are completely out until you start pulling the upper portion off. If it feels like there's resistance then back them off more. Basically is whats below those relays and fuses is four blocks so your basically unplugging the top from the bottom. Some of the plugs will un-clip a little so you may have to hold them as you pull up. Once open you'll need to un-clip the green terminal block from its mounting box. Note there is very very little play in the wire harness coming up from the bottom of the box. I was able to stretch it enough to be able to get the wire out and new one in.

Now run the lights harness up from below. The wire they are having you install will need to be inserted in the wire-loom running into that terminal box. There's no other way to get it into that box. On the supplied fog light harness tap wire cut the electric tape away from the wire and wire loom as you will need to pull that wire out of the loom so you can have enough slack to get it into the box and up to the connector. How they have it taped up it will not be long enough...trust me I found out the hard way lol.

Ok so now you'll see a wire in B3 that must be removed. this is what took me quite some time to figure out and BronzeSierra's post above lead me in the right direction but was still very vague.....that's the main reason for this and with pics. You'll notice on the sides of the green block a plastic cream colored strip. This is the secondary wire lock system. There is one on each side. Gently pry to release with a small flat head screw driver and slide out each side. You'll see they are "sided" so you can't put them back wrong. I still set them down in the orientation they came out. Now using a T pin or terminal removal tool you can release the wire. Be easy pulling on the terminal block as I was nervous that other wires may pull out. Follow the instructions to cover and stow the old wire. I just covered it and left it in that box.

Now fish the harness wire up thru the wire loom into the box. I used an orange stick to "open" up a path for the wire to slide. I did cover the terminal with tape so it wouldn't hang on any thing. Once you have it fed into the box snap it in the terminal block. I had to use needle nose pliers to manipulate it as there's so little room to work.

Now slide the secondary locks back in. NOTE they should slide easily in. If there's resistance or it feels like its hitting something it is. Pull back out and push the wires up into the block. I had one wire that dropped a little.....it didn't unlock but it dropped down obstructing the path of the secondary lock. Once the secondary is in it'll snap locked. Reassemble everything per the instructions and continue your install.

Hope this helps anyone doing this install.

UEC 1.jpg

UEC 2.jpg

UEC 3.jpg

UEC 4.jpg

UEC 5.jpg