Stabiltrak saved my wheels today..

Marv88

I live in "sunny" California with no snow and little rain so I never really thought much about the Stabiltrak until today. We had a first light rain in quite some time and while turning to go on the freeway at the same on ramp I use twice a day the truck unexpectedly broke loose when I hit the freshly painted sidewalk stripes sending me right towards the curb. I immediately corrected but it kept sliding  and all of the sudden the truck did a few "jerky" motions and straightened itself right out!  Props to GM or whoever invented this feature that just saved me from a couple of bent wheels as well as possible suspension damage!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ozer said:

i turn mine off getting out of the carwash, makes for a fun entrance to the road with wet slippery/soapy tires lol  (when its safe to do so of course, no traffic/cars coming)

I think you’re only turning off traction control which will allow you to do some wheel spins. From my knowledge there is not way to just turn off stabilitrac which is used to correct the vehicle when sideways, etc. I’ve heard you can unplug the steering wheel location sensor (or whatever the correct terminology is) while the wheels are straight. This tricks the truck into thinking you’re driving straight while your tires are moving 80mph, example: actually drifting in the snow. I have yet to try this but I’m very tempted. 

Edited by rudyb

10 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

About the only thing stabilitrack is capable of correcting... guys on wet pavement in the summertime lol.  Killed mine dead and could not be happier.

Yours is disabled?

I think you’re only turning off traction control which will allow you to do some wheel spins. From my knowledge there is not way to just turn off stabilitrac which is used to correct the vehicle when sideways, etc. I’ve heard you can unplug the steering wheel location sensor (or whatever the correct terminology is) while the wheels are straight. This tricks the truck into thinking you’re driving straight while your tires are moving 80mph, example: actually drifting in the snow. I have yet to try this but I’m very tempted. 
Keep holding the button and it will turn off, which will allow you to go sideways but till it reaches 36mph,then it will kick back on.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, rudyb said:

If you hold down the traction control button for several seconds it will turn off the Stabiltrak however it automatically comes back on at a certain speed (I believe 35mph)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ozer said:

Keep holding the button and it will turn off, which will allow you to go sideways but till it reaches 36mph,then it will kick back on.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Looks like we were typing the same thing at the same time!

Edited by Marv88

11 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

About the only thing stabilitrack is capable of correcting... guys on wet pavement in the summertime lol.  Killed mine dead and could not be happier.

What benefit do you get from having it disabled?

3 hours ago, Marv88 said:

What benefit do you get from having it disabled?

Full control of the throttle?

It’s a pain to disable, and it sucks in snow

i’d disable mine if I lived in a place with a lot of snow.

I’ve literally been stuck a few times and as soon as I disable stabilitrac I go right out

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Full control of the throttle?

It’s a pain to disable, and it sucks in snow

i’d disable mine if I lived in a place with a lot of snow.

I’ve literally been stuck a few times and as soon as I disable stabilitrac I go right out

I thought it only activated when the truck went sideways(?) No snow here so I've never run into that situation. 

Sorry I got stabilitrac confused with my mustang, which I think is called advanced trac

probably nearly identical in function. But the mustang won’t move in the snow with the stability control on. Sierra obviously has way more traction so haven’t been in that situation yet.

actually have never been stuck with the sierra