So, First time owing a Chevy lol always been Ford, but figured what the hell. I lost my spare set of keys and now have one. I had a key made and cut by locksmith but they told me I could program myself. I tried the whole insert key then insert new key deal but didnt work. Do you have to have two working keys to add the new key?? I understand i could do the 10-10-10 method but if I did that with the new cur key will my first original key not work?

I know when I got my remote start I also got an extra key made as well which I was able to program. I cant remember how but it did entail putting one key in and then the other.....or maybe that was with the new fobs and they key was already programmed. Sorry thats not actually helpful

On 10/1/2019 at 8:37 PM, Maria Wolfe said:

So, First time owing a Chevy lol always been Ford, but figured what the hell. I lost my spare set of keys and now have one. I had a key made and cut by locksmith but they told me I could program myself. I tried the whole insert key then insert new key deal but didnt work. Do you have to have two working keys to add the new key?? I understand i could do the 10-10-10 method but if I did that with the new cur key will my first original key not work?

The long procedure makes it so previously learned keys no longer work (so if someone swipped one from you, they won't be able to use it).

However, step 6 of the long procedure will let you 're-teach' the original key that is not missing. (or teach the new one if the original was the first one used in the long procedure)

6. To learn a second key, turn the ignition off, insert the second key to be learned, and turn the ignition on.