Reductant heater and supply code

My def heater was replaced a few months ago by the dealer under warranty. I had to wait a few weeks for the part as there was a nationwide back order. The dealer initially cleared the code, which cleared the check engine light, but it came back a few days later. I asked them that same question...will it go into limp mode? At that time, we didn't know how long the back order on the heater would last. They said no..it shouldn't for this single issue. I wasn't too confident in their answer. They hadn't seen one go limp from a def heater issue only. 

I was able to clear the code using my CTS Insight. It returned a few times during the next couple weeks until the part arrived and was replaced. I've had no issues since...

You should be able to clear your code and check engine light using a code reader from any large auto parts chain store... 

• 3 months later...

I received a GM (Canada) letter recently indicating there will be coverage for the 2016 with issues relating to DEF heater performance as a Special Coverage Program (SCP) N192210260 Perhaps it is avail in the US as well?

Scan.pdf