2019 6.2 with 10sp transmission temp on long trip

Need to get @Gumpy Bear in here.  I just got back from a 1,000 mile round trip visiting my mom in western PA.  I noticed that my transmission temp basically stayed around 140° F the whole trip and would go down to 135° and up as high as 145° but never higher.  This is with outside temp of in the 20's to as high as 58°.  As you can see in the picture the engine temp runs at this temp as well the entire trip.  It would move up some but then settle back down to where it is at now.  I could watch it move as I drop on the interstate like it was moving every time the thermostat opened and then closed.  Never had a temp gauge do that before.  My 2002 hits 210 and stay there.

It seems, at least with my truck that it runs much cooler than previous trucks on the engine side and transmission side.  My 2002 stays at 165° mostly and as high as 198° when towing the trailer.

Also on a side not I averaged 20.4mpg the entire trip.  Not bad considering I was in the mountains and then running 75 to 80 on the interstate.

Transmission temp.jpg

6 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

Yes,  Also note that the temp didn't change even running up long 14% grades in the mountains. 

Does it have a thermostat? Cooler in the radiator or other? Don't know much about the T1 layout. 

Just now, Grumpy Bear said:

Does it have a thermostat? Cooler in the radiator or other? Don't know much about the T1 layout. 

I'm sure it has a thermostat like the K2's and it has a cooler since it has the Max tow package.

The GMT-800/900 and K2XX trucks had less accuracy on the engine coolant temp gauges. There is always a difference between what the cluster reads and what a scan tool reads. It's often a 10-15º difference between the two.

The newest trucks from what I see are more accurate, so it's not going to reach operating temp and show 210ish all the time. What you are seeing is what is actually happening, so I'd venture to guess that a handheld scanner would show your coolant temp right around ~185-195º with the stock thermostat.

I don't know the transmission thermostat temp on the T1xx trucks but the K2XX I believe were 185-190. In the cool weather my 2016 will stay under that temp unless I'm flogging it.

Edited by CamGTP