Which brand starter?

bradleyheathhays

I'm outfitting my middle aged '02 Taurus with a new starter and need some advice on what brand starter to get. I'm tempted to get this reman Motorcraft, the fourth one down in the orange remanufactured section..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2002,taurus,3.0l+v6+ohv,1385771,electrical,starter+motor,4152

For $123 that seems reasonable for a OE reman. If not this one I'll probably be going for a reman of another brand so why not go OE?

The other reman options I'm seeing at the car stores are...
Napa brand
Bosch
Denso
Driveworks at Advance
Carquest
Duralast
Valucraft
Ultima
Bestest

Should I go with the Motorcraft or one of these? $123 sounds almost too good although I really don't know.

From your list that you posted, I'd go with Motorcraft, Denso, NAPA, or the new AC Delco.... No particular order. If from Rock, I'd go with new, since their is no core or return involved

Edited by txab
  • Like 1

I'd just grab a it from a local AutoZone or Napa or Orielly if you are getting a reman so you don't have to worry about returning a core to an online retailer. They usually have a lifetime warranty too. No need to get an oem one for this kind of part.  Duralast or Ultima are good. Probably steer clear of the Valucraft on electrical parts. 

There are only 2 or 3 companies out there that rebuild alternators, and probably 2 or 3 companies that build new alternators from scratch that the vehicle manufacturers use to put in their vehicles.  Much like most other auto parts now a days like pumps, sensors, batteries, and the such. 

I've had poor luck with rebuilt alternators, starters, and pumps.  Especially alternators.  Finally learned my lesson to get new when possible.  Many credible auto repair facilities will also tell you to buy new and not rebuilt because of the failure rate.  They don't want angry customers coming back in when it tested good out of the box only to quickly go bad after being installed and used for a short period of time, which is usually what happens. 

• Like 1