Help me diagnosis this whine. Tranny? Front diff? Wheel bearing?

I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 4.3l 4x4 with a 6" rough country lift and 33" tires 

So i have 55k miles on the truck. I put the lift on and these tires around 40k miles. 

The last week or so ive started to notice what id call a whine? I cant think of exactly how to name it. Essentially when driving the truck sounds significantly louder. Let me explain. 

When im moving whether going 30mph or 80mph i notice it. Sometimes i do notice it more with lower rpm. It almost sounds like the trucks got a lot of drag or really tight noisey transmission. I know its not the engine cause when i feel and hear this if i push the gas i can hear the truck rev and the other noise stays. 

Getting up to speed on the highway i notice it a lot. Like i said it just sounds like the transmission has a ton of drag on it or maybe the front diff. 

Im almost thinking it cant be the front diff since im in 2wd. 

I dont hear any metal on metal grinding. The noise is smooth/ constant but does get louder. It seems go get louder when there is lower rpm or if im costing to a light. 

The transmission shifts fine. Never had any issues. Doesnt appear to clunk as far as i can remember. 

I would isolate the noise as front of vehicle for sure and sounds pretty centered.

The noise doesnt increase or decrease with turning or bumps. 

I also noticed there has been a large 3-4 mpg decrease recently

Today 1/9 ive developed a rattle from the right front

Thoughts? Ive got 45k miles left in my full coverage extended warranty. I just paid the truck off so im trying to get this figured out while its covered.

Edited by Dersch

Just now, Snowcamo said:

With wheels chucked, engine and parking brake on get under and listen to the bell-housing area. Mine wines at times and its the torque converter.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Gotcha. Okay ill have to do that. 

Do you have to replace the torque converter then? What kind of damage we talking?

Gotcha. Okay ill have to do that. 
Do you have to replace the torque converter then? What kind of damage we talking?
Actually since the pump and tq are back to back its hard to really say for sure. Im just saving up to do a complete upgraded rebuild.

6 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Actually since the pump and tq are back to back its hard to really say for sure. Im just saving up to do a complete upgraded rebuild.

Gotcha. For me who is under warranty how hard am i going to struggle to get them to actually look at this and diagnosis a problem? 

I feel like im going to struggle cause its not a loud grinding noise or other things 

Gotcha. For me who is under warranty how hard am i going to struggle to get them to actually look at this and diagnosis a problem? 
I feel like im going to struggle cause its not a loud grinding noise or other things 
It really depends on the dealership. If it ain't broke...

6 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

It really depends on the dealership. If it ain't broke...

I feel ya on the last part. Im like yeah its a little louder than usual but it runs fine... 

My biggest fear is running out of warranty at 100k Miles and the tranny or something else dynamites

I feel ya on the last part. Im like yeah its a little louder than usual but it runs fine... 
My biggest fear is running out of warranty at 100k Miles and the tranny or something else dynamites
Gotcha. I have noted on warm or hot days the sound isn't there. I really think it has to do with the trans cooler making the fluid cold. I have had the same sound with the 700r4 when I added a cooler.

18 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

Gotcha. I have noted on warm or hot days the sound isn't there. I really think it has to do with the trans cooler making the fluid cold. I have had the same sound with the 700r4 when I added a cooler.

One other thing i just remembered is ive noticed a sudden large (3-4 mpg) decrease in fuel efficiency especially on highway 

One other thing i just remembered is ive noticed a sudden large (3-4 mpg) decrease in fuel efficiency especially on highway 
Solid info! It really resembles issues with tq multiplication as if there was a drop in the converters output. More clunkyness going on likely as well.

1 hour ago, DeePa said:

How in the hell do you expect an extended warranty to cover anything drivetrain related with  a 6” lift???

was the lift put on After you purchased the extended or before?

After. 

I mean the sell vehicles new with lift kits.

Wheel bearings, u joints, yeah im cool with them saying nah that's on you. 

But a transmission or engine having issues? Yeah no thats a factory thing. Its like yes i have large tires which cause more drag but what if this was a truck i towed with regularly? There would be way more stress on every component. 

• Like 1