Rough Country Cat-Back Exhaust

Looks like Rough Country just released a cat-back for the T1 trucks. Black tips would look great on my TB LT, but curious if anyone has experience with RC on the previous gens?

Sound? quality? There "own brand"? etc - wonder what it compares to and why is it about 1/3 the cost of a Borla system?

https://www.roughcountry.com/chevy-silverado-dual-cat-back-exhaust-96011.html

11 hours ago, west1nm said:

Looks like Rough Country just released a cat-back for the T1 trucks. Black tips would look great on my TB LT, but curious if anyone has experience with RC on the previous gens?

Sound? quality? There "own brand"? etc - wonder what it compares to and why is it about 1/3 the cost of a Borla system?

https://www.roughcountry.com/chevy-silverado-dual-cat-back-exhaust-96011.html

I saw that as well, it looks like an exact copy cat of the Flowmaster American thunder series cat-back.  I've got it on my truck, the quad tips look unreal! I ditched the super 40 for no muffler as well.

4 hours ago, Ksalway said:

Here’s a cold start of the exhaust.

Thanks for posting Ksalway. This looks and sounds fantastic! 

19AT4 might be on to something. It does look very similar to the FM system. Do you notice any drone or unpleasant noises? How’s it sound cruising?

Guess I’m between this and the Borla S-type now.

For a fraction of the price I would go with this system all day, the quality is well worth the $500 price tag. As far as noise I drop my truck into L8 so it doesn’t cut cylinders/it stops the auto start/stop feature from working. It sounds no different then any exhaust I’ve had on my previous trucks (ram 1500 as well as a 2001 Silverado.) . I would say go for it as it’s a clone if not made in the same factory as the flow master American thunder system that I’m so happy I didn’t pull the trigger on when I first bought the truck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, west1nm said:

Thanks for posting Ksalway. This looks and sounds fantastic! 

19AT4 might be on to something. It does look very similar to the FM system. Do you notice any drone or unpleasant noises? How’s it sound cruising?

Guess I’m between this and the Borla S-type now.

Had a few questions for Rough Country so I sent them an email. Never heard anything back after 2+ weeks, so decided to go with the Borla S-Type cat back instead.

Just installed the Borla and am quite impressed. Not too loud, but certainly has the right amount of “bite”. Doesn’t overpower and you can tell it was setup/tuned specifically for our trucks. Certainly pleased with my decision.

On 3/7/2020 at 8:36 PM, west1nm said:

Had a few questions for Rough Country so I sent them an email. Never heard anything back after 2+ weeks, so decided to go with the Borla S-Type cat back instead.

Just installed the Borla and am quite impressed. Not too loud, but certainly has the right amount of “bite”. Doesn’t overpower and you can tell it was setup/tuned specifically for our trucks. Certainly pleased with my decision.

Glad you’re happy with it, I’m just as happy with my $500 dollar system and bought many more goodies with the savings!

Glad you’re happy with it, I’m just as happy with my $500 dollar system and bought many more goodies with the savings!

I respect that call, but much of the extra $500 goes to the 304 stainless on Borla vs the 409 stainless on RC. In my neck, northern Ohio, the 409 gets surface rust almost immediately when the roads are salted. Less than 2 weeks in my experience. The 304 does not get the surface rust. But if you are not in that environment, then it is a moot point for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2020 at 4:47 PM, loud_pipes said:

I respect that call, but much of the extra $500 goes to the 304 stainless on Borla vs the 409 stainless on RC. In my neck, northern Ohio, the 409 gets surface rust almost immediately when the roads are salted. Less than 2 weeks in my experience. The 304 does not get the surface rust. But if you are not in that environment, then it is a moot point for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I just installed the rough country exhaust on my 2020 trail boss it sounds awesome and I can honestly say it is well made the muffler and tips are 304 stainless and the rest is 409.. you can’t beat it for the price. I had borla on my 16 Silverado, great system and very good quality but unless I plan on keeping my truck  for at least 10 years I will never buy such an expensive set up again. As far as drone, ALL after market exhausts have some level of drone I’ve had Corsa on my challenger and it had some drone just like the borla on my 16 Silverado.. Of course some drone more than others.. but it’s just the nature of the beast .. turn the radio up and it’s all good!!

• Like 1