Hey so I have a question about my 2003 GMC Sierra z71 truck. 
so I can lock into 4wd High but won’t engage in 4wd low. I came across that it has to be in neutral to get it in 4wd low. The only thing is that on the speedometer the little indicator will indicate that it’s in park reverse drive and 123. But when I put it in neutral it is in neutral it’s just that little bar that makes the truck actually recognize that it’s in neutral won’t show there so therefore it won’t lock in 4wd low. I could used to get it in there if I turned the truck off and turned it right back and quickly put it in neutral and it would show that little indicator on the speedometer that it was in neutral and it would lock into 4wd low. But after a while it stopped showing and now it won’t show so I can’t put it in neutral and suggesting On what that could be to fix it. I checked every thing with the wires and the fuses. I asked my fellow friend and he told me it could be the neutral safety switch but when I put the truck in neutral it will still cut on and even in park it would still turn on. Do you think that could be the problem or do you think it has to do something with the wiring in the steering wheel colum.? Anything would help thank you guys!!image.thumb.jpg.c5a51620f4281a63f45f3a6fdfae302b.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I would say, most likely, it's the encoder on the transfer case (the electric shift motor), or the range fork has worn (this can happen even if you don't use it, as it can rub on the gear it moves all the time).  Could also be other things, but those are the most likely.

But diagnose instead of firing the parts cannon at it.

I know in that run of trucks they had Steering Wheel Position Sensors that would fail and need to be replaced.

When they went bad, it would throw all kinds of different warning codes, and your steering would feel different, so that and the bad run of intermediate steering shafts, nothing else comes to mind in the steering column. 

34 minutes ago, Larri hernandez said:

Just fixed it thank you guys. It was actually they neutral safety switch. Just got done putting it in and it finally showed that little bar indicating it was in neutral and locked right in.

Good to hear!

Welcome to the site!