In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

FN in MT

Trans shudder still occurring on 2020's?

Question

I'm interested in a new Colorado. Have they gotten a fix for the shudder issue yet?

I had a 2017 Camaro SS with the A8 auto. Some owners of the Gen 6 Camaros  were experiencing some sort of shudder. A trans flush and refill with a different AT fluid seemed to solve it.

13 answers to this question

35 minutes ago, cuznjohn said:

ok let me get this straight, I'm screwed. she did say that if we can't fix the problem, we might be able to do something for you. i don't trust anyone. so to me it sounds like the same problem like the air bags. they have a bunch of defective devices, and it would cost way too much to change or fix them. the dealer is a great dealer, they try to help out the best they can. but how can they fix something that has no fix. if i almost didn't get rear ended on the parkway last week, i would just keep biting my tongue and live with it. i didn't get another acardia like i had the first time due to a cost saving i needed to do. that had a few problems also, AC leak that they couldn't find, but re charged it when needed, and a horn that you needed to be charles atlas to be able to hit it to make it work. so what can they do with this problem. the no trust for me is, if it is a so called learning transmission, why can't they turn the learning feature off. it's simple, software change is how i see it. i told them i will go the lemon law. i will start bringing it in every week with the same problem, and after the forth time, i will start the process. i will wait and see what they say, before i start blowing fire out of my nose, and start the lemon law

Lemon law wont help you hear either I don't think.  Its operating as designed, there no way to remove the adaptive learning of the trans even though that is what is not causing the 1-2 initial shift issue.  Its the clutch fill time.

Trade it in or see if you can start a buy back with GM if its going to bother you that much.  

what do you mean by shudder. i have a 2020 canyon, and the transmission slips between first and second gear. i went back to the dealer, and they told me it was learning how i drive. one of the techs on here told me the same thing. i asked it they could turn off the learning feature, and they said no, just learn to live with it. so last week i found out who is the president of GM, and wrote a letter to her about the problem. now i will see if i get a answer to it

On 5/15/2020 at 8:11 PM, FN in MT said:

I'm interested in a new Colorado. Have they gotten a fix for the shudder issue yet?

I had a 2017 Camaro SS with the A8 auto. Some owners of the Gen 6 Camaros  were experiencing some sort of shudder. A trans flush and refill with a different AT fluid seemed to solve it.

Everything with the A8 built after March 1st 2019 has the newest fluid from the factory.  We have seen zero shudder complaints since that change was made.  

On 5/19/2020 at 5:43 PM, cuznjohn said:

what do you mean by shudder. i have a 2020 canyon, and the transmission slips between first and second gear. i went back to the dealer, and they told me it was learning how i drive. one of the techs on here told me the same thing. i asked it they could turn off the learning feature, and they said no, just learn to live with it. so last week i found out who is the president of GM, and wrote a letter to her about the problem. now i will see if i get a answer to it

Does it happen during the first couple 1-2 shifts when you start driving?  

9 hours ago, newdude said:

Does it happen during the first couple 1-2 shifts when you start driving?  

yes it does. today i got a call from GENERAL MOTORS and i have a case started. the young lady i spoke to today, said she was going to call the dealer, who i gave a very good wright up about, and said she was going to contact the engineers on the subject, and said she will be back in touch with me within 3 days. i asked how many people are complaining about this problem, and guess what, she said she can't tell me that. i told her i wasn't a mechanic, but that i have owned a lot of cars, and never heard of a transmission learning how i drive. but i did say i know somethings about software, and that the engineers should be able to write a software program to shut the learning feature off.

14 minutes ago, cuznjohn said:

yes it does. today i got a call from GENERAL MOTORS and i have a case started. the young lady i spoke to today, said she was going to call the dealer, who i gave a very good wright up about, and said she was going to contact the engineers on the subject, and said she will be back in touch with me within 3 days. i asked how many people are complaining about this problem, and guess what, she said she can't tell me that. i told her i wasn't a mechanic, but that i have owned a lot of cars, and never heard of a transmission learning how i drive. but i did say i know somethings about software, and that the engineers should be able to write a software program to shut the learning feature off.

I will bet you a virtual $1 bill that they hit you back with this.  There is pretty much no fix.  At best if you truly can't deal with it, perhaps they might be able to help you some other way.

#16-NA-361: Information on Transmission Harsh 1-2 Shift Upon First Start Up/Shift of the Day Under Light Throttle - (Oct 8, 2019)
Subject: 

Information on Transmission Harsh 1-2 Shift Upon First Start Up/Shift of the Day Under Light Throttle

Involved Region or Country

North America and N.A. Export Regions

Condition

Some customers may comment that the transmission exhibits a harsh 1-2 shift on the first shift of the day, typically under light throttle.

Cause

This condition is due to the initial clutch fill time of the 2-3-4-6-8 (C4) clutch.

Information

Some customers may experience a flare condition on the first 1-2 shift of the day or after the vehicle has been parked for several hours. The condition may have developed after the replacement of a complete transmission assembly or the replacement of the stator support to correct a delayed engagement condition. This is most likely to occur under light throttle conditions. Subsequent 1-2 shifts have acceptable shift feel. Replacing transmission components will not correct the condition.  

Correction

Important: Replacing transmission components or complete assemblies will not improve the condition.

The first 1-2 shift of the day may be harsh. The customers’ vehicle should be compared to a like vehicle under the same driving conditions. Do Not replace any parts for this condition.

Note: This condition will not impact the designed performance or reliability of the vehicle.

11 hours ago, newdude said:

I will bet you a virtual $1 bill that they hit you back with this.  There is pretty much no fix.  At best if you truly can't deal with it, perhaps they might be able to help you some other way.

ok let me get this straight, I'm screwed. she did say that if we can't fix the problem, we might be able to do something for you. i don't trust anyone. so to me it sounds like the same problem like the air bags. they have a bunch of defective devices, and it would cost way too much to change or fix them. the dealer is a great dealer, they try to help out the best they can. but how can they fix something that has no fix. if i almost didn't get rear ended on the parkway last week, i would just keep biting my tongue and live with it. i didn't get another acardia like i had the first time due to a cost saving i needed to do. that had a few problems also, AC leak that they couldn't find, but re charged it when needed, and a horn that you needed to be charles atlas to be able to hit it to make it work. so what can they do with this problem. the no trust for me is, if it is a so called learning transmission, why can't they turn the learning feature off. it's simple, software change is how i see it. i told them i will go the lemon law. i will start bringing it in every week with the same problem, and after the forth time, i will start the process. i will wait and see what they say, before i start blowing fire out of my nose, and start the lemon law

I don't post often, I had this issue with my 2015 Silverado and now with my 2019. After the software update the it stopped for a while and now it's doing it again. If the truck sits long enough to cool off it stutters usually soft but on occasion it hits kind of hard. It's loud enough where it scared a neighbor kid who was headed to the bus stop before the lock downs. Honestly that's the only issue I've had in the 23k miles I've put on it since July 2019. Since the update it hasn't done it after idling which it did a number of times before the update.  I don't post often, I had this issue with my 2015 Silverado and now with my 2019. After the software update the it stopped for a while and now it's doing it again. If the truck sits long enough to cool off it stutters usually soft but on occasion it hits kind of hard. It's loud enough where it scared a neighbor kid who was headed to the bus stop before the lock downs. Honestly that's the only issue I've had in the 23k miles I've put on it since July 2019. Since the update it hasn't done it after idling which it did a number of times before the update.  

It's an annoyance but no where near as bad as the known issue my wife has on her 2018 Atlas! 

46 minutes ago, NotJustAnyDad said:

I don't post often, I had this issue with my 2015 Silverado and now with my 2019. After the software update the it stopped for a while and now it's doing it again. If the truck sits long enough to cool off it stutters usually soft but on occasion it hits kind of hard. It's loud enough where it scared a neighbor kid who was headed to the bus stop before the lock downs. Honestly that's the only issue I've had in the 23k miles I've put on it since July 2019. Since the update it hasn't done it after idling which it did a number of times before the update.  I don't post often, I had this issue with my 2015 Silverado and now with my 2019. After the software update the it stopped for a while and now it's doing it again. If the truck sits long enough to cool off it stutters usually soft but on occasion it hits kind of hard. It's loud enough where it scared a neighbor kid who was headed to the bus stop before the lock downs. Honestly that's the only issue I've had in the 23k miles I've put on it since July 2019. Since the update it hasn't done it after idling which it did a number of times before the update.  

It's an annoyance but no where near as bad as the known issue my wife has on her 2018 Atlas! 

Hi my 2019 5.3 8 speed 8-19 build has the latest fluid from factory and does the 1-2 slip bang after idling for about 10 mins or so it even does this when I'm sitting in a drive through for 10 minutes or so, trans at normal operating temp what software update did you get? It's driving me crazy gm is hiding behind the learning thing I am a tech for other brands and all trans leArn this is for wear not for poor quality mfg, they think they can slap it together without precise measurements on the clutches and expect it to compensate, my feeling is there is a Pressure problem or leak in the clutch circuit, mine even slip bangs 3-4 in the morning but if I put into reverse before I pull out of my driveway ( I back into my driveway) it shifts great reverse apply's one of the 3-4. Clutches this tells me that the clutch is leaking fluid, unfortunately the trans are built at the Toledo plat where there has been huge issues I'm sure it's just disgruntled employees purposely building it wrong to screw gm, and gm knows this they just dont care.....

4 hours ago, newdude said:

Lemon law wont help you hear either I don't think.  Its operating as designed, there no way to remove the adaptive learning of the trans even though that is what is not causing the 1-2 initial shift issue.  Its the clutch fill time.

Trade it in or see if you can start a buy back with GM if its going to bother you that much.  

my problem is that it's a lease. so i am locked in for 39 months

7 hours ago, Will71 said:

Hi my 2019 5.3 8 speed 8-19 build has the latest fluid from factory and does the 1-2 slip bang after idling for about 10 mins or so it even does this when I'm sitting in a drive through for 10 minutes or so, trans at normal operating temp what software update did you get? It's driving me crazy gm is hiding behind the learning thing I am a tech for other brands and all trans leArn this is for wear not for poor quality mfg, they think they can slap it together without precise measurements on the clutches and expect it to compensate, my feeling is there is a Pressure problem or leak in the clutch circuit, mine even slip bangs 3-4 in the morning but if I put into reverse before I pull out of my driveway ( I back into my driveway) it shifts great reverse apply's one of the 3-4. Clutches this tells me that the clutch is leaking fluid, unfortunately the trans are built at the Toledo plat where there has been huge issues I'm sure it's just disgruntled employees purposely building it wrong to screw gm, and gm knows this they just dont care.....

The update only fixed the 1-2 slip when it happened while driving, basically when taking off from a light or exiting the freeway slowing down and it would stutter a bit. 1-2 slip after a cold start only subsided for a while after the update then started back up again. I don't by the system is learning anything it should know me by now! 

Currently my 2018 Colorado has been sitting at a dealership with a vibration problem after the flush.The dealer told me they don't have a transmission tech to asses the problem, I told them i would get it towed to another dealership that has a tech.GM customer care did not like that idea because the dealer told GM customer care that it was safe to drive.I told GM customer care that the dealer had no right to tell you if it is safe to drive because they don't have a tech to asses the problem. So i gave them a couple of scenarios to think about. 1st scenario i pick up the truck drive away no problem untill i find a tech to repair the problem. 2nd scenario i drive the truck away, the problem with the vibration causes me to lose total control of the vehicle, i wind up hitting a school bus full of kids killing them all. Ya the truck is still there and it seems no one wants to to get back to me concerning this problem. My son owns the all new AT4 and guess what he has the hard shift problem in his transmission too not sure what he is going to do yet becuase he bought it at the same dealership my truck is sitting at good luck with our problems. Don't be afraid to use my scenarios with your dealership when you bring it in for your problem.