6L80 transmission service?

1 hour ago, Chebby said:

Looks like I do! 

50763199-5B0E-4DE6-B452-45F89A813998.jpeg

That's a near twin to mine, only newer with a few more niceties inside.  These are wonderful trucks and far more capable than they are given credit for.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/26/2020 at 7:17 AM, elcamino said:

When you buy a vehicle YOU OWN IT, NOT GM. GM put just enough thought into it to get it through warranty. They don't own it and once past the ever shrinking warranty, they could care less. They make MONEY not vehicles.

Be your own advocate.         No one else will.  Change your fluids.  ATF like engine oil is built with consumables that are depleted over time. Its not made to last forever despite what some may like to believe.

Came across this when trying to find how much fluid comes out of the pan through the dip stick and had to reply to correct misinformation... So apologies brining up an old thread and post. 

I am just going to copy and paste this from another reply to another person thinking companies design products to last just past the warranty period, which they don't.

"Who told you that? The repair shop? There certainly is money in building something that doesn't need repairs. First there is extended maintenance and second there is repeat buyers from brand value by not losing perceived reliability. You think people will just keep coming back having failure after failure every few years? Nope, they go to another brand and sales are lost...

In grad school we spent a good amount of time on the impact of brand value in one of my classes. If you have a product that is lower quality and tends to fail you will lose the customer base, plain and simple. From word of mouth to reviews, sales will be lost. There is very little value in designing a vehicle or part at this level to only last just past a warranty period. They are not at all doing that. Just because you had a failure doesn't mean that is the angle being taken. GM is known for building solid transmissions, but there are weak components or failures in all and they haven't avoided that, but overall they are solid units most of the time. 

How many on here have one failure then sit on the mountain they are on yelling "I will never buy another GM vehicle again"? Yeah, those lost sales do nothing for GM or any business/manufacturer; and that is exactly what would happen if all these failed not long after the warranty period. 

By designing for lasting just past the warranty period you take a high risk of it failing before the warranty ends, now you are on the hook for repairs, replacement and labor. That is not a risk any brand wants to take. I have worked on the finance side of a large companies warranty division, I know first hand the costs associated with recalls, replacements and repairs and what it does to the bottom line of a company and brand value. 

Paccar had a large scale main bearing failure in one of their MX line of engines while I was there, the cost was huge in just warranty claims and it came down to a design decision in engineering that something overlooked in a particular instance; or something along those lines as it has been a few years since I was there and this happened. Either way they didn't design it that way, it was something that reared its head later in a particular circumstance while engine braking. This took a hit on their quality surveys and cost them some sales on top of the large scale repair and replacement program they instituted and extending engine warranties further out. 

The ZF8, many regard as a fantastic transmission, while the ZF5 before was one of the worst. Try as you might it is a mechanical component build by machines and people, there will be flaws in any brand or bad apples. So no, it wasn't designed to last just past the warranty as that would cost more in brand perception and sales than the money saved on some lighter components at the front end; so let's not start this false narrative..."

In the end I am with you on the changing of oils and maintenance, but not at all aligned with the thought a company just wants their item to last to the warranty end period. Toyota is doing well by not following that thought process don't you think? 

Tyler