Groaning Sound. 2WD Stuck In 4WD?

Hello Everyone, new to the forums here.  I have a 2016 GMC Sierra All Terrain that has recently started making a sort of groaning sound, sort of like it you had large mud tires on it or like it is in 4WD High.  The noise gradually gets louder as the speed increases but doesn't get much louder after say 30mph.  Basically, when the truck is in 2WD, the truck sounds like it is in Auto or 4WD and the computer display when you toggle through on the steering wheel confirms that it is supposed to be in 2WD as the dial shows.  I believe there is also more of a vibration or feeling in the steering wheel too like when it is actually in 4WD but just not quite as much.  Any one have any ideas or areas I should look into?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by m980

First off you are in the wrong forum, posting this in the right one will get you better responses from people that know the vehicle.  But having said that I will still give you some place to start checking.  With it being a 2016 the first thing I would check especially since you said you can feel vibration in the steering wheel and that it gets louder with acceleration would be the front wheel bearings.  To check them is pretty simple, just jack up one front wheel at a time and see if there is any play when pushing in at the top of the wheel while at the same time pulling out at the bottom.  Do the same side to side but be aware that some side to side play could be a worn inner or outer tie rod.  Also give the wheel a spin while it is in the air and see if it makes any noise, there really should be barely any with the exception of the brakes slightly rubbing and possibly a front axle turning.  Another thing to remember is that a lot of repair shops will give a free front end inspection obviously in hopes that you get it repaired at their shop, but if you have any doubts of their diagnosis get a second opinion.

Thanks very much for the response.  I didn't realize I was posting in the wrong spot.  I am guessing perhaps I should have posted in with the engine and drive line section?  I will check out the wheel bearing and see if it is that.  Thanks again.