In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Have a 2014 Silverado 1500 5.3, truck starts and drives great all day everyday! But when I am pulling an enclosed trailer or boat if I turn it off for any reason (in a mall parking lot, got to where I’m going, or to fuel up) it won’t start and I have to wait 30-45 mins for it start. I have driven all day and shut it off for fuel without trailer and it starts fine, I have a new battery installed in the fall, I have checked connections, I even unhooked trailer electrical to see if that would work but it doesn’t. I use the tow/haul mode but still won’t start if I don’t use it, today I drove 20km and shut it off and it took 30 mins to get it started. Engine temp, oil pressure everything is in normal operating range. When I turn key my truck powers on (radio,lights, dash,etc) but when I turn to start there is just one “click”. Any feedback would be helpful as I don’t want to buy a new starter if it’s something else ( after posting I realize this is in the wrong category but an engine is an engine)

Edited by Canadian chevy
Wrong category
  • 1 year later...

I know its an old post but if your having the same issues then my questions area s follows:

"It won’t start and I have to wait 30-45 mins for it start." Does it crank, fast, slow? 

"Shut it off and it took 30 mins to get it started." See above, what were the no start symptoms? How did it start at the end of the 30 minutes?

"I even unhooked trailer electrical." When, for the duration of the tow or only when it wouldn't start?

"When I turn key my truck powers on (radio,lights, dash,etc) but when I turn to start there is just one “click”."  This suggests a battery or starter problem. 

Couple thoughts... trailer has a short that is discharging the battery (leave the trailer completely disconnected for the duration of the trip to rule this out. More likely the heat from the additional load is killing the starter, once it cools off it starts.