instrument cluster, door locks, AC, 4wd issues

drewcifer63

Question

So my problem is electrical. visually the instrument cluster cycles on and off. the tachometer and speedometer work fine. temp, oil pressure , engine temp and fuel gauge cycle on and off. They are sometimes off permanently but it varies day to day. When its off so are the door locks, windows and AC. When off i see the security warning light, air bags and 4wd goes off line. Thus far im checking the grounds throughout the vehicle. the issue mostly occurs when the truck is running. when in the run position (engine off) doors and windows are online. there's no affect from bumps or rain or heat or cold. sometimes on/off cycle is specific ..like 4 seconds on and 4 seconds off. i know a scan would help but id hate to pay for a scan and have them say its a i have a shorted out cigarette lighter. 2007 silverado classic (2006) 1500  Z71 Crew cab..240000 km

Edited by drewcifer63
added more vehicle details

4 answers to this question

Best thing to do would be to get ahold of a wiring diagram, and see if there is a common 12v feed for all these different items.

A friend of mine just posted a video on a Dodge Ram with a similar issue, that was traced to a bad ignition switch. On that vehicle, in the run position, there are 2 wires supplied with 12v - one of them had 0 volts intermittently.

29 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

Best thing to do would be to get ahold of a wiring diagram, and see if there is a common 12v feed for all these different items.

A friend of mine just posted a video on a Dodge Ram with a similar issue, that was traced to a bad ignition switch. On that vehicle, in the run position, there are 2 wires supplied with 12v - one of them had 0 volts intermittently.

Are you talking about SouthMainAuto on youtube. 

Love that guy.

• Like 2