Bakflip MX4 issue

3 hours ago, Arkangel said:

Did you have to send your original one back to them? I havent tossed the box yet in case I do.

I have to apply more than a small amount of pressure to overcome the gap, when I tried it resulted in stress on the panel closest to the cab, the rubber joint, and the mounting plate attached to the rails and hardware 

I think this will eventually lead to premature failure at one of those points. If it was designed to function this way Bakflip would have said so, but they are acknowledging the fact that it is not functioning as intended which is why they are warrantying it.

I have not been able to find any information on a Bakflip that does not touch the cab when folded from any other truck including Ford/Dodge/Toyota etc. If the next one doesn't solve the problem then I think Ill be going with a different cover.

No, they told me to throw it away, so thats what I did.

I'm not sure I would want it to touch the cab as long as the camera is clear. I've made a 12 hour drive with the cover folded up without any issues. The arms kept it locked in place without rubbing the cab which is fine with me. As mentioned, I can make it touch, but I'm just not sure why I would want to. 

9 hours ago, sdelam said:

I'm not sure I would want it to touch the cab as long as the camera is clear. I've made a 12 hour drive with the cover folded up without any issues. The arms kept it locked in place without rubbing the cab which is fine with me. As mentioned, I can make it touch, but I'm just not sure why I would want to. 

To each his own I guess, this is my 3rd Bakflip, the others rested on the cab without having to apply a single ounce of pressure. A bunch of guys have them at work and theirs all touch, thats what they were designed to do, I think if it doesn't and it just bounces around on the “living hinge” something is going to fail prematurely. 

If it wasnt a problem I dont think Bakflip would be replacing it before I could even ask for a replacement ??‍♂️

I’ll update when I get the new one.

19 hours ago, gSwift said:

No, they told me to throw it away, so thats what I did.

Mine was missing a seal and piece of foam and it leaked like a sieve. I called them and had to send pictures, etc to them. The rep was very understanding and helpful. Once I sent pictures of my cover after I beat it with a ball peen hammer, they sent me an entire new assembly. The new cover has been great, and no, it doesn't rest completely on the cab, regardless of how far up I adjust the rails or cover, but it works well. I can force it onto the cab and lock down the bars, but normally I just fold it 3 times and use the strap when towing the 5th wheel.

33 minutes ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

Mine was missing a seal and piece of foam and it leaked like a sieve. I called them and had to send pictures, etc to them. The rep was very understanding and helpful. Once I sent pictures of my cover after I beat it with a ball peen hammer, they sent me an entire new assembly. The new cover has been great, and no, it doesn't rest completely on the cab, regardless of how far up I adjust the rails or cover, but it works well. I can force it onto the cab and lock down the bars, but normally I just fold it 3 times and use the strap when towing the 5th wheel.

Thanks for the update!

I’m picking up an AT4HD next week and looking at the MX4. Are you saying you don’t have to fold the cover all the way upright when pulling your 5th wheel? If so, that’s great to hear as I was wondering about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, nolejag15 said:

I’m picking up an AT4HD next week and looking at the MX4. Are you saying you don’t have to fold the cover all the way upright when pulling your 5th wheel? If so, that’s great to hear as I was wondering about that.

Correct. I just fold the 3 rear panels onto the 4th (front) panel and strap it in place and go. It works great and you still have a little bit of covered area in the bed if you need it.

• Like 1

Correct. I just fold the 3 rear panels onto the 4th (front) panel and strap it in place and go. It works great and you still have a little bit of covered area in the bed if you need it.

You have the standard size bed? Just want to make sure since the MX4 cover has 3 panels so folding it twice would give 2/3 of the bed space.

30 minutes ago, nolejag15 said:

You have the standard size bed? Just want to make sure since the MX4 cover has 3 panels so folding it twice would give 2/3 of the bed space.

MX4 has 4 panels for the standard HD bed

AB0DB7B0-7928-4F86-9091-581C5D9E866C.jpeg

Edited by Arkangel

35 minutes ago, nolejag15 said:

Yes. I have the standard 6’9” bed. The MX4 I have has 4 full panels and a stationary, smaller panel at the bulkhead. The way I usually run it when towing, gives me about 75% open bed space.

Thought Id post this if anyone is interested

Here is a video of the added stress on the rail and mounting bracket when you force the cover to the cab. You can see it pulling the bracket up and causing rotational force on the rail.

The more I do it in the video the less it seems to flex, not sure if related  but after 2 days of rain and a wash this morning, this cover seems to leak more than the last one I had on my 1500

https://imgur.com/a/pagUL9E

Edited by Arkangel

7 hours ago, Arkangel said:

Thought Id post this if anyone is interested

Here is a video of the added stress on the rail and mounting bracket when you force the cover to the cab. You can see it pulling the bracket up and causing rotational force on the rail.

The more I do it in the video the less it seems to flex, not sure if related  but after 2 days of rain and a wash this morning, this cover seems to leak more than the last one I had on my 1500

https://imgur.com/a/pagUL9E

Is that with your warranty replacement cover or the original?