New Front Hub vs Alignment - 2008

When a front hub is replaced does the wheel alignment need to be checked or adjusted?

We had one done on our 2008 Tahoe and 10,000 miles later the outer edge of the tire is bald. The issue is that I didn't really notice the condition before the hub was changed do it may have been oddly worn before.

The opposite front tire does not look like that and seems to be wearing normally.

Tire pressures have been maintained at good numbers but tires have not been rotated so the issue isn't elsewhere.

I also changed the front struts a while ago, but again, the opposite side front tire is not showing an issue.

No, not as you listed. Replaced definitely bad front hub, a while later I replaced the front struts, one of which was definitely bad. A while later one front tire, the side of the replaced hub, is balding on the outer edge. No alignment was done after any of that work. Alignment was done before any of it was found and done when tires were replaced due to normal use over 60,000 miles.

The mechanics shop is trusted and only possible oversight was not realigning after replacing the hub, but perhaps it wasn't necessary; Thus the question was posted.

Maybe the bad strut caused it, I don't know.

I've never done an alignment after replacing a wheel bearing on a vehicle like this. Be it in a shop I used to work at or at home.

Removing the bearing on these trucks does not involve anything related to camber/caster or toe changes. All of those pieces stay in place. A wheel bearing is only 4 more bolts past a brake job.

In that 10,000 miles, it's very possible that a pothole, curb or whatever knocked the truck out of alignment.

Excessive wear on the outside tread usually indicates a toe out condition, which a loose whee bearing would cause. But I would think both tires would be worn if this was the case, but I'm no expert. Could possibly be positive camber from the strut replacement, but i think thats unlikely. I would definitely get the alignment checked regardless

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mike GMC said:

The front shock replacement probably should have been followed by an alignment.  The 08 has the coil over design, not just the separate shock right?

Correct. They came fully assembled from the manufacturer though. New spring/shock assemblies.

13 hours ago, XJ2.5 said:

Excessive wear on the outside tread usually indicates a toe out condition, which a loose whee bearing would cause. But I would think both tires would be worn if this was the case, but I'm no expert. Could possibly be positive camber from the strut replacement, but i think thats unlikely. I would definitely get the alignment checked regardless

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Only one hub/bearing failed and was replaced.

Seems to be a consensus on getting an alignment so will do after both front tires are replaced. Mechanic said "curse of GM trucks", and he drives one.

I an trying to figure out what the culprit might have been to be sure it's resolved, at least as sure as possible. It seems that one of the two item changes could be the issue.

Edited by Beamie