Towing and axle rating question

Z71RAD88

Can someone educate me/correct my understanding if I have this wrong? Say a truck has a curb weight of 5454 and a GVWR of 7100 lbs and has a RGAW of 3800 lbs. Does the front axle have a rating of 3300 lbs then? If you load passengers and pulling a TT with a hitch weight of 500 lbs how can you tell if you’re over axle? Or is the only way to go to a CAT scale and get a cert? Would it be safe to assume most of the passenger in the vehicle be put on the front axle and the hitch weight of the trailer plus any cargo in the bed be put on the rear? 

Edited by Z71RAD88

3 hours ago, Z71RAD88 said:

Can someone educate me/correct my understanding if I have this wrong? Say a truck has a curb weight of 5454 and a GVWR of 7100 lbs and has a RGAW of 3800 lbs. Does the front axle have a rating of 3300 lbs then? If you load passengers and pulling a TT with a hitch weight of 500 lbs how can you tell if you’re over axle? Or is the only way to go to a CAT scale and get a cert? Would it be safe to assume most of the passenger in the vehicle be put on the front axle and the hitch weight of the trailer plus any cargo in the bed be put on the rear? 

The front and rear axle weights do not add up to your GVWR.  Those numbers are independent of the GVWR.  There is a sticker on your B pillar that has the weight limits of each axle.  There has to be some flexibility, as it would be impossible to balance front and rear weights otherwise.

9 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

The front and rear axle weights do not add up to your GVWR.  Those numbers are independent of the GVWR.  There is a sticker on your B pillar that has the weight limits of each axle.  There has to be some flexibility, as it would be impossible to balance front and rear weights otherwise.

Thank you for your reply!