Continental Terrain Contact H/T Opinions

Interested in opinions on the Continental Terrain Contact H/T tires. Looking for a bit more affordable alternative to Michelin Defender LTXs because I have to spring for TPMS this time around.

We have the Cooper SRXs which are fine 3 season tires but always disappointed in the snow compared to the old LTXs. That's a regret I took on from not seeking opinions beforehand.

I found a discussion on the Conti A/Ts but we have grown accustomed to having minimal road noise in our truck and have avoided A/T tires in our golden years.

It might be a moot point because the tires I have looked around for seem to be in short supply or backordered, blamed on "this covid thing".

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Edited by Beamie

I just got a set of these in June.  Only have about 1000 miles on them so far but they seem pretty good.  Smooth and quiet ride (and I even have the 20" ones that ride a little stiffer than the standard 18" wheels) and plenty of traction for road driving.  We'll see how they do in the snow this winter.

Just FYI concerning their warranty -- they definitely have the best one AS LONG AS YOU DON'T NEED TO USE IT.  

I actually had LX20's that were great tires but wore out well before the mileage warranty.  Continental was very willing to give me a pro-rate for replacement tires but you need to pay the entire bill up front then the dealer submits a claim and once Continental approves it they will mail you a rebate check.  I watched my dealer submit the claim the day after I got my tires installed but he warned me Conti was tough to work with.  I am now going on almost 4 months and am still trying to get my check ...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of the TerrainContact H/Ts on my Yukon. They are great so far in both dry and wet conditons. They replaced a set of Michelin LTX M/S2.  Winter performance will tell the true story if the TerrainContacts are a true replacement for the Michelin tires. 

2 hours ago, nominion said:

I have a set of the TerrainContact H/Ts on my Yukon. They are great so far in both dry and wet conditons. They replaced a set of Michelin LTX M/S2.  Winter performance will tell the true story if the TerrainContacts are a true replacement for the Michelin tires. 

How do you think they compare in noise and ride quality?

It's a big difference in price between the two. Perhaps that's why they are on backorder in the Z71 size.

On 9/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, sk said:

Just FYI concerning their warranty -- they definitely have the best one AS LONG AS YOU DON'T NEED TO USE IT. 

My dealer said the same about Michelin in the past and also commented on the lack of road hazard coverage. I had a faulty LTX (pre Defender) on the truck at the time.

Edited by Beamie

20 hours ago, Beamie said:

How do you think they compare in noise and ride quality?

It's a big difference in price between the two. Perhaps that's why they are on backorder in the Z71 size.

Road noise and ride quality seem on par with the Michelin tires. I've had them for about 3K miles and so far, no regrets.  No indication of wear at this point either.