2016 3500 Stereo Upgrade

Any thoughts on replacing the OEM basic stereo for something with Apple CarPlay?

I've got a 2016 GMC 3500 base with the basic tiny little radio.

I'd like a bigger screen, compatibility with the OEM backup camera (even though that is awful), and a trim ring that looks as stock as possible.

I used 2016+ radio/HMI on my 2015.5 to add Android Auto/Carplay. There is a huge thread on how to do it, parts required, and companies that can do the programming. I believe that thread is on the K2 1500 forum.

I swapped out the radio in my 15 high country with the bose. You need a radio capable of rr maestro. You need the alpine amp adapter or do the amp bypass like i did with the harness and aftermarket amps. U also need the gm3 harness. Night and day difference. I got aa, mirrorlink wireless and rear entertainment. Total investment around 900.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I swapped out the radio in my 15 high country with the bose. You need a radio capable of rr maestro. You need the alpine amp adapter or do the amp bypass like i did with the harness and aftermarket amps. U also need the gm3 harness. Night and day difference. I got aa, mirrorlink wireless and rear entertainment. Total investment around 900.

Wow. Sounds awesome. And complicated. I'm looking for more of a plug and play kind of thing. Apple CarPlay capable radio, with a wiring harness that's plugs into the stock harness.

If you dont have a bose sound system any shop can install a aftermarket radio. U need the rr maestro to keep window, door lock functions and other functions.

No Bose system. Base model stereo here.

What do the Window and door functions have to do with the radio?

Then you will need the rr maestro and gm3 harness. I do not regret the upgrade. To go to aa from what i had was around 700. Now i have a lot more features and ob11 hookup through radio. I did a pioneer avic8400 radio, kept the stock speakers. Re used my stock radio bezel or u can go with aftermarket bezel. You also need the amp bypass harness if the speaker leads are behind the back seat