Recommendation For This Use Profile?

My uses will be:

1. Driving 4,000 miles round trip 8x/year.
  2. Running unloaded (500lbs in the bed) 1-way on all trips and only 2 of the trips either 10K-20K trailer load or 2,500-3,500 lbs in the bed but not both.
  3. When at each destination, it'll be a daily driver.
  4. When home in CO, I'd use it for camping and go as far as I can reasonably get 'er off road away from the throngs who have now clogged-up my home state though under no illusions about that given the sheer size. That's probably 4x/yr in dispersed camping areas on BLM land.

I'm making myself nuts choosing between 2021 Sierra 2500 or 3500 SRW Denali (or Ford F350 for that matter - for the price diff, it's an easy choice with them - but this is a GM forum so not going there unless someone wants to volunteer a competitive remark re the Blue Oval).  Pricing is bizarre as they're giving roughly $2K off on a 2020 vs 2021 and a 2019-2020 with miles in the high teens are only $4K-$6K away from new (top trim levels), I'm finding.

I'm not super-picky about the ride unloaded with these modern rigs (plus it's an HD truck for cryin out loud). General cab comfort and quality fit/finish of interior is important.  Drivetrain quality is the most important by far.

So really a question of 3/4 ton or 1 ton as long as price diff isn't more than a grand. Believe it or not, the 1 ton trucks are cheaper to insure here...never would've thought that.

My other decision is around swinging way down in year (like 2015-2016) to save money and wait for a hopefully new interior in 2022. But s**t, even they seem to be $55Kish with 60K-70K miles vs $74K negotiated on an $81K list 2021 truck.

What would you buy given that picture?  Makes my brain hurt...

Edited by sgnden

That's a crapload of miles per year.  32,000 just for the 8 trips. 

Given the 20,000lb trailer, you need a 3500srw.

(At 10,000 it wouldn't matter) 

At 3500 payload, you'd be at max payload for at or just above max payload for a 2500. 3500srw would be a good idea. 

(At 2500 it wouldn't matter) 

Significant changes to the 20 and newer trucks provided increased payloads and trailer ratings that are reflected in above numbers.

I'd be looking for a 20+ 3500

Let us know what you decide!