2018 Colorado

DanR

Thinking on purchasing a 2018 Colorado with 100k on the clock. Looks used but in good shape. Only 1 ding by right front fender down low and drivers seat a bit worn. Other than that looks good, sounds good, no unusual noises. About $22k. Ok deal or walk away?

If it's 100,000 miles, that's a lot of miles in a short time.  You may not think it won't bother you but a driver's seat that is worn to someone else's ass can be quite uncomfortable.  

Selling price is something only you can decide if it is worth the price or not.  Typically asking for advice on a public forum in regards to used vehicle prices will get you opinions from complete strangers all over the country.  The best place to find out if the price is in line is your local used car lots or sites like Kijiji (at least in Canada). I am not a fan of craigslist for anything. 

If you are happy with what you buy something for then for you it's a good deal.  I can guarantee that no matter what you pay, someone will say that they wouldn't pay that much. 

2 minutes ago, Doug_Scott said:

If it's 100,000 miles, that's a lot of miles in a short time.  You may not think it won't bother you but a driver's seat that is worn to someone else's ass can be quite uncomfortable 

Selling price is something only you can decide if it is worth the price or not.  Typically asking for advice on a public forum in regards to used vehicle prices will get you opinions from complete strangers all over the country.  The best place to find out if the price is in line is your local used car lots or sites like Kijiji (at least in Canada). I am not a fan of craigslist for anything. 

If you are happy with what you buy something for then for you it's a good deal.  I can guarantee that no matter what you pay, someone will say that they wouldn't pay that much. 

Oh baby! 

What more can you tell us about the Colorado? 

What trim level?

What engine?

Personally, I don't care about the mileage, 100K in 2 years tells me it is probably all, if not mostly, highway which is what engines like. 

Take a look at the tail pipe, does it look black and does it have a coating that you can rub off with your thumb? That is usually an indication that the exhaust system, and the engine doesn't heat up enough to burn off the excess moisture. 

Is the engine bay clean? How about the oil on the dipstick?

Take a plastic baggie and put your hand in it and rub it over the paint finish. Does it feel rough and bumpy compared to just your hand? That tells you that the finish has not been cared for all that well. It needs a full detail job, polish and sealant applied. 

When you test drove it, was there a lot of glare on the windshield? If so, have them replace the windshield. It will drive you nuts until you get it done on your dime. 

Also, if you are trading in a vehicle, take a look at new ones. They are willing to trade as a lot of people are NOT buying new cars. I got a pretty good deal on my 2021 Canyon Denali trading in my 2018 Jeep Cherokee Limited. 

Edited by Ktownskier
adding more content
  • Like 1

I am not convinced engines like being run at low rpms for the majority of their life.  Way back when it was supposed to be a great car if it was owned by a little old lady that only drove it to church, but it wasn't.  Those cars would break down quickly if driven hard.  Cars today run at such low engine speeds on the highway that they have become the cars driven by little old ladies.  Machines tend to run in/wear when run at constant speeds, engines are no different.  All highways miles are great for making brakes last though.