2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Fog Lights

Hey guys,

I was looking at a way to make my lights broadcast a little further and just basically have more visibility at night. I noticed my truck is not very similar to many others out there, not sure if I would call it 'rare' but definitely a lack of information on it. I will leave some pictures of my truck here so you guys can see what I am talking about. These lights are more rectangular horizontal shapes and the ones that I see being installed and more common are the square vertical ones. To be clear, this is something I want to add to my truck and looking for feedback and recommendations. 

1.) Is there an RPO code that tells me specifically about these lights? As in if it is prewired to install OEM or aftermarket lights? 

2.) Can I install them and have the functionality I want? As in a separate switch, or will they only come on when my lights/high beams are on etc? 

3.) Like I said I have not been able to personally locate an install on a setup like mine, does anyone know how difficult it is or what I can expect? Maybe even someone knows of a guide showing an install similar to that of mine?

4.) On an unrelated note I am planning to finally get remote start in my truck. I was told by the dealer that my truck is 'remote start ready', I think it is (AQQ). He said I could expect to pay between $350 and $400. I heard that you cannot program them yourself but you can purchase as cheaper kit and only need to pay labor. Anyone have any advice about this or anything else I should be aware of when letting the dealer do this? He said the kit also comes with a hood latch sensor so the truck cannot be running if the hood latch is open or something. 

Also forgot to mention I was doing some looking around and like I said was not able to find much. However, I did come across these. Does anyone know if there is a GM part number or could the eBay ones be okay? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-2016-2017-2018-GMC-Sierra-1500-LED-Bumper-Fog-Lights-Driving-Lamps-w-Switch-/132969104657

thumbnail_Image (10).jpg

thumbnail_Image (11).jpg

Edited by Hexa Fox

• 1 month later...

did you crawl under the truck to see of the wire dongle is there? your at least gonna need a new headlight switch with the fog option, not sure but prob gonna need a flash by the dealer to make that work. may be better to get those ebay lights and just use an aftermarket switch.

edit: those lights come with a switch and aftermarket wiring so u should be gtg, just wont work with a stock fog switch if you go that route.

Edited by Hieneken49
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2021 at 11:02 AM, Hieneken49 said:

did you crawl under the truck to see of the wire dongle is there? your at least gonna need a new headlight switch with the fog option, not sure but prob gonna need a flash by the dealer to make that work. may be better to get those ebay lights and just use an aftermarket switch.

edit: those lights come with a switch and aftermarket wiring so u should be gtg, just wont work with a stock fog switch if you go that route.

I just now noticed this. I do not know if I missed the email or what. Thanks for the response.

By wire dongle do you mean like an open coupler I could plug and play these lights directly into? No, I tried to look but it was a pretty cold day, I know there were a lot of covers and crap at first glance, I will take a better look next time I am out there. 

I cannot find any videos or guides to help with this specific install. I just want to make certain that something seemingly simple does not turn into the front of the truck torn apart and two months of work if you know what I mean. 

• 3 weeks later...

When it comes to "fog" lights, many of the articles out there have the mindset of "if you mount the lights low, they're fog lights. If you mount them higher up, they're driving lights". True fog lights adhere to a standard known as J583. I installed a set of the Rigid J583 LED, NOT cheap but so worth the money. Last year we were  driving through TN mountains and the fog was like soup. Many had their fog lights on and all I kept hearing from the wife was "thank you for getting these lights".  Great visibility forward and way to the sides of the road outshining everyone with no bounce back of the light and nobody flashing from oncoming traffic for being a distraction.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 10:37 AM, Hyker said:

When it comes to "fog" lights, many of the articles out there have the mindset of "if you mount the lights low, they're fog lights. If you mount them higher up, they're driving lights". True fog lights adhere to a standard known as J583. I installed a set of the Rigid J583 LED, NOT cheap but so worth the money. Last year we were  driving through TN mountains and the fog was like soup. Many had their fog lights on and all I kept hearing from the wife was "thank you for getting these lights".  Great visibility forward and way to the sides of the road outshining everyone with no bounce back of the light and nobody flashing from oncoming traffic for being a distraction.

Good information to know. I know I should have did research to figure something like this out. To be honest, I just thought it would be a cool project and would add some extra light. Now I am going to want my lights to include J583 lol.

Anyway, I was surprised to see that there is not a lot available when it comes to these lights. I thought there would be several after market people making them but it looks like this type of fog lamp is rare. If anyone finds anything let me know. I am not certain if mine are called something specific or something and that is what I am missing or what.

I went out and got under the truck the other day and could not see anything. I am going to have to wait until I can drive it up on my large ramps and take a light up there.