2018 suburban lt purchased gmpp warranty

So if i read right, you financed the warranty over 18 months, I think its ok, as we dont have the advantages our American Cousins have when it comes to buying GM warranty. I took mine over 84 months, 100k as well but and you did not mention this if you have it, a 200 dollar deductible. It also came to around 2700 plus a little for Uncle Trudeau which brought it to over 3100 total. I included it in the total financing which was 0 percent over the 84 months. I dont think that i would do it again however as it might be a better idea to put that money in the bank and let it generate the .25 percent interest. 

I took a $200 deductible. I bought mine 2.5 years in  hence i could not include  it with my cars financing. My financing  rate when i bought the vehicle in 2018 was 1.9%. What year did you buy your vehicle? What trim do you have?  Your right though if things go well it may be money thrown away. But I think  equal chances something could  go wrong. So far 1 year in i had to replace  a rear air leveling air bag in which the seal broke causing the compressor to run  excessively which was done under manufacturers warranty. But everything else  has been perfect.  There is not much choice for the amount you  spend on this vehicle  too much could go wrong  if it does ive heard the infotainment system is 3000$ + to replace alone.  I had  basic digital  display radio in my last car go womky after  2 years  and  replaced under warranty  they told me that was  a 2000$ part which was overpriced  if you ask me.  My upgrades  alone justify it as i took a luxury pack ,max tow and navigation radio.   The problem with power seats is if they go you can't even manually adjust. 

• Like 1

I bought mine in Sept 2017 and it was built at the end of July 2017, so it did not sit long. My dealership had to get it from another dealership in Bracebridge, On and they were not happy about trading a Yukon SLE for it. As you know, Suburbans are not that common in Canada and there are very few ordered for public use. I agree with you that there is a 50/50 chance that something could go wrong and it will be expensive. The way it broke down for me was

3 Year Basic Bumper warranty or 60k 

5 Year Powertrain warranty for 160k

7 Year GM extended warranty for 100k with 200 deductible

Now that really means, that for 4 years up to 100k i have the GM extended with deductible. I dont believe the powertrain comes into play as the kms would not match. 

I am in my 4th year with 31 thousand km on the clock so i am well within the windows. I have a company vehicle so i dont place much mileage on mine.

As far as fixing it, i took a different route. I bought the vehicle FSM on thumb drive $440 delivered from Helm (ouch) but it has 9950 pages. I also bought the VX Nano and its software to diagnose the vehicle and its modules, there are over 30. I also bought a subscription to the TIS website to get the new calibrations for the modules as they become available, they have not yet. I have had only two warranty claims in the time i had this. 

1 hour ago, George100 said:

I bought mine in Sept 2017 and it was built at the end of July 2017, so it did not sit long. My dealership had to get it from another dealership in Bracebridge, On and they were not happy about trading a Yukon SLE for it. As you know, Suburbans are not that common in Canada and there are very few ordered for public use. I agree with you that there is a 50/50 chance that something could go wrong and it will be expensive. The way it broke down for me was

3 Year Basic Bumper warranty or 60k 

5 Year Powertrain warranty for 160k

7 Year GM extended warranty for 100k with 200 deductible

Now that really means, that for 4 years up to 100k i have the GM extended with deductible. I dont believe the powertrain comes into play as the kms would not match. 

I am in my 4th year with 31 thousand km on the clock so i am well within the windows. I have a company vehicle so i dont place much mileage on mine.

As far as fixing it, i took a different route. I bought the vehicle FSM on thumb drive $440 delivered from Helm (ouch) but it has 9950 pages. I also bought the VX Nano and its software to diagnose the vehicle and its modules, there are over 30. I also bought a subscription to the TIS website to get the new calibrations for the modules as they become available, they have not yet. I have had only two warranty claims in the time i had this. 

Wow now  that is pro active. Many people may have  something wrong but may not realize it until its too late. Your  right  on top of testing your vehicle and knowing it well. 

What was the nature of 2 warranty  claims? I just like to know what to look out for and always curious as to issues  people experience hence one of the reasons why im in this forum.  

• Like 1

Thank You, 

Looking  back at the warranty i just realized that if i stayed under the 100 k, I will have the last two years of powertrain coverage as well. As for the warranty claims. I just took delivery of the truck and realized that it was a bit noisy with the wind and i took it back a week later and the dealer found that the drivers door was not fitting properly, they fixed that and all is good. The other claim was for the shark fin which is a well known issue. The dealer replaced the gasket on that and also the High Freq antenna. This is for the Onstar and SirusXM.  Other than that it has been a fine vehicle. Its really no surprise when you look on this forum and others there is really not that much to complain about. When you look at the GMT 400 and 800 people still rave about them, the Excellent GMT 900 which is still a high water mark for the SUV's notwithstanding the issues with some engines and other very minor issues. I dont expect the K2xx to much different over the next 20 years or so. One thing that others have mentioned but i dont think it will affect you is the a/c condenser it has had issues and GM has fixed it after 2017. Mine has an updated Condenser so i will be keeping an eagle eye on it. 

1 hour ago, George100 said:

Thank You, 

Looking  back at the warranty i just realized that if i stayed under the 100 k, I will have the last two years of powertrain coverage as well. As for the warranty claims. I just took delivery of the truck and realized that it was a bit noisy with the wind and i took it back a week later and the dealer found that the drivers door was not fitting properly, they fixed that and all is good. The other claim was for the shark fin which is a well known issue. The dealer replaced the gasket on that and also the High Freq antenna. This is for the Onstar and SirusXM.  Other than that it has been a fine vehicle. Its really no surprise when you look on this forum and others there is really not that much to complain about. When you look at the GMT 400 and 800 people still rave about them, the Excellent GMT 900 which is still a high water mark for the SUV's notwithstanding the issues with some engines and other very minor issues. I dont expect the K2xx to much different over the next 20 years or so. One thing that others have mentioned but i dont think it will affect you is the a/c condenser it has had issues and GM has fixed it after 2017. Mine has an updated Condenser so i will be keeping an eagle eye on it. 

I bought mine in march 2018, by factory order and it arrived in may 2018. This enabled me to pick and pay for just  what i wanted. I don't  go for all bells that usually come on the ones that ship to the dealer. Its amazing that the most highly equipped models are the biggest  sellers such as a loaded premier or a yukon denali.  What is there to watch out for  on shark fin antennas? I heard  they can leak but ive never seen any water coming  into the cabin. There are few times where sirius shorts  out but appears thats just sirius or after i drive under a bridge.  I don't like the performance of the  fm wire antenna in rear cargo  right side window.  I find mine  has a lot of static on various stations that doesn't happen in my other car which  has a standard 8 or so inch roof mount antenna. Could there be something wrong there? I presumed maybe not as other times it works well depending on where  i am. I just think its a bit flaky. My brothers kia came dual wire fm antenna on both left and rear sides  and that  seems a better way to do it. What is there  to watch for on the  ac condenser?  Mine drops a lot of water condensation once i park it. But all my cars have done that so I'd think  its normal being a large vehicle. Do i just monitor  for reduced  performance less cooling? I find performance of motor and transmission perfect  so far very smooth powerful no hesitations. Yes i know I've seen a lot of reports  on this forum  of some pretty  serious issues but i notice trends of such is with  used purchases.  I believe  if you buy a 2 or 3 year old vehicle its a high chance of some issues as many prior owners are demos rentals or people who just never  cared for them. Ive always purchased new 3 vehicles and all have been solid. Gmpp is 1st ext warranty  ive bought and i bought it as risk  of loss was too high given just the cost and number of complex parts alone. I think the computerization and simplification of some parts ( parts that  cant be repaired and have to be replaced) warrants a warranty on most vehicles today. On one of my other vehicle's one circuit board  blew resulted  in a second  board blowing with it . This resulted  in an 800$ repair on a 10 year old vehicle which  heating  fan speed adjustment failed. a suburban with tri vents control . Im sure a lot can go wrong . What bothers  me is at after  84 months im on my own for this  vehicle. Ill need to put  another fund aside in a savings acct just for after 84 months 

I always wanted to order a factory model, mine was indeed one of those 'loaded premiers' lol, but its what i wanted and unlike a lot of other vehicles i can be sure that this one will last long after the payments are over. 

The Shark fin should not be a concern for you as Gm made running changes, one of the advantages of having a later model in the cycle. It would leak into the drivers side visor area and drip onto the floor. It was caused by the gasket under the fin having a drain hole facing the wrong way, which was up, gm just changes the antenna and the gasket with a new one with the hole now facing down towards the front so the water can drain out. The AC condenser should also not be a concern as yours should have the new style, there are lots of threads here on the forum so you can browse that one.  Lots of water on the ground is a good sign that yours is working well. My Pass side rear window fm/am antennas have never given me any issues as the sound is good. The sat does drop out near cliffs and under bridges but that is line of sight issues and not a problem. 

As far as issues go, all vehicles will have some to some degree but with time parts and experience will win out. I remember the days when the old mechanics would shake their heads at the vehicles that do not have carbs, now we look back on those early fuel injection days with fondness and that will happen in ten years when we go to repair our old electronics.