• 2 weeks later...

Got my truck back yesterday. New electric water pump installed, running much better and power is back!

Turns out this pump water for the turbo intercooler which is a liquid cooled unit. 

GM is offering me 35000 GM points as a good will gesture for the parts taking so long to arrive.

I told the 50,000 would seal the deal for me but they won't budge. So I'll play the waiting game....

14 hours ago, Shawn M Stahl said:

65k miles on my 3L diesel. Truck goes in next week for a second electric pump replacement. Had the first one around 30k miles. Truck doesn't have near the power towing and used a tank of DEF in 525 miles. 

I wonder if they’ve updated the pump, or are they still using the same design when they replace them.

Mine goes in tomorrow.  Been a long winter with no remote start.  In the time since the part came in and the repair appointment was made last week I have a new CEL, P1338.  Also got a service brake monitor system on the dash yesterday.  Hoping they can fix all of them tomorrow.  

also was driving it the other day and with no warning went from 1k miles of DEF to zero and said tank was empty.  I check it usually each tank and last check was half full.  So seems to be using it much faster now.  First winter owning the truck so maybe the different fuel blend builds up faster in the dpf? 

not gonna like, really starting to miss my F150.  I love this truck but damn, seems like it’s always something. 

Edited by Doc76

On 1/30/2022 at 9:53 PM, AD80 said:

I wonder if they’ve updated the pump, or are they still using the same design when they replace them.

Dealership just called. Apparently from some diagnostic testing they don’t think it’s the pump that is the issue but now believe it’s a faulty ECM that’s been the issue all along…and guess what else…the ECM is on back order! 🥸

7 hours ago, Shawn M Stahl said:

Dealership just called. Apparently from some diagnostic testing they don’t think it’s the pump that is the issue but now believe it’s a faulty ECM that’s been the issue all along…and guess what else…the ECM is on back order! 🥸

Thanks for the update. Did they mean gm thinks now that the ecm has been the problem all along for all the pump failures, or just yours individually?

Edited by AD80

Got mine back earlier in the week.  Dealer didn't know if pump design had changed but said he has only seen a few of these failures. (I have heard that before though)  My other code was due to a faulty glow plug.  Was testing just under spec.  Goes in for that next week under powertrain warranty.  

So far so good, truck runs great again.  Saw a slight fuel mileage decrease with the bad coolant pump.  Not sure exactly why but have gained at least 2-3 mpg back.  Also nice to have remote start back now that the CEL is off.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc76 said:

Got mine back earlier in the week.  Dealer didn't know if pump design had changed but said he has only seen a few of these failures. (I have heard that before though)  My other code was due to a faulty glow plug.  Was testing just under spec.  Goes in for that next week under powertrain warranty.  

So far so good, truck runs great again.  Saw a slight fuel mileage decrease with the bad coolant pump.  Not sure exactly why but have gained at least 2-3 mpg back.  Also nice to have remote start back now that the CEL is off.  

Mine has thrown an intermittent glow plug value outside parameter code but seems to clear and go away. Dealership here thinks a faulty ECM might be causing both issues.  I am also getting poor fuel mileage and excessive DEF usage when the CEL is on. 

Dang man, that is the exact thing mine was doing, right down to the crappy fuel mileage.  Mine goes in next week for the glow plug.  I will ask them then what they think about and ECM problem.  I have a case open with GM corporate so will ask them as well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Doc76 said:

Dang man, that is the exact thing mine was doing, right down to the crappy fuel mileage.  Mine goes in next week for the glow plug.  I will ask them then what they think about and ECM problem.  I have a case open with GM corporate so will ask them as well.

I’ll ask them again when the ECM comes in. Supposedly both issues I’ve had where it called for the pump replacement was in end of January early February up here in Michigan. They said it was safe to drive and I went to Nashville this past weekend. Warmer weather and it cleared the CEL on its own. Coincidence maybe. Took it in to have the pump replaced the other day when part arrived. Told them it cleared up so he went in and manually opened the pump gate but couldn’t get flow to turbo so they think it’s an ECM and maybe tied to the glow plug outside parameters issue. 

I’d really like this motor if it didn’t have all the junk attached to it. 

• 11 months later...

Any updates to this.  I've had #2 Glow plug replaced a month ago and now for the second time have code P3196 at tha same time of year last year with 40,000 km intervals so seems odd to have the pump go again.  Seems like a programming issue not a parts issue.  Did they replace the ECM and if so how is the truck now that it has gotten colder agian?