P3196 - Low Temperature Coolant Pump Speed Performance 

Indicates pump speed performance problem.  One failure mode for when pump commanded speed = 0 and another for when pump speed commanded >0 

I'm a little surprised Onstar wouldn't/couldn't give the info. 

Wasn't this code, but they read the info and followed up with the info in an email when mine had a CEL.

Maybe just a sensor/harness issue? 

Device or wiring in circuit that powers the on pump?

Curious what they find.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:34 AM, redwngr said:

P3196 - Low Temperature Coolant Pump Speed Performance 

Indicates pump speed performance problem.  One failure mode for when pump commanded speed = 0 and another for when pump speed commanded >0 

I'm a little surprised Onstar wouldn't/couldn't give the info. 

Wasn't this code, but they read the info and followed up with the info in an email when mine had a CEL.

Maybe just a sensor/harness issue? 

Device or wiring in circuit that powers the on pump?

Curious what they find.

Dealer got back to me and said the same, the cooling system on the turbo wasn’t cooling as required and could be the pump. Booked in to be looked at. Weird!! 

On 12/28/2020 at 11:11 AM, ian cloutier said:

Hey guys! 17K on the truck and got a check engine light last night. Called onstar they gave me a code P3196 however didn’t know what it was for, the dealer is still looking but don’t know off hand. 

Strange for a new truck to have a check engine light. 

8541D794-BE8D-4227-8F45-6B9F54D2AEE5.jpeg

Dealer had this to say? Check engine light went out on its own on its way to the dealer, does this mean there’s a TSB? Can someone look it up?

C42842DC-FEEE-40B0-BA7D-FF6355A355E1.jpeg

Interesting... My truck threw a CEL this week (emission message, 160 miles until limited speed 65 MPH)  this was the second time in 800 miles and my truck only has 3800 miles on it. I have had 5 CEL since new three times in the dealership, the other two cleared after second or third ignition cycles. The first time was during the test drive with only 55 miles on the odometer!

Every time the dealer said it was the emission system related to the DEF system, DEF tank heaters and now the pump. This week the service manager said they had to order parts i.e.  a coolant? pump, hoses, and a control module. Sorry I don't have any codes or part numbers to share but when the parts are in and replaced I will follow up. Also I have only shown two gauge bars of DEF fluid used since new, I have always felt the DEF system wasn't injecting enough DEF into the engine, maybe I was correct? 

Side note my last tank MPG was low 23 MPG highway mostly, I filled up after my service appointment this week and saw a improvement to 31 MPG highway which made me feel better...at least for now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

22K on my 2020 3.0 Duramax. Just got this code. Electric coolant pump is bad. Turns out they are on backorder! Must be an issue if they don't have any left in inventory. :(

Edited by lennstang

3 hours ago, lennstang said:

22K on my 2020 3.0 Duramax. Just got this code. Electric coolant pump is bad. Turns out they are on backorder! Must be an issue if they don't have any left in inventory. :(

They have to make sure that enough pumps are available for the paying customers. If your a warranty repair, your on the back burner. The factory is installing 500,000 pumps a day on new rigs that they are planning selling. Call up a different dealer, and say you don't have a warranty, and want to pay cash for one. Just give them the part number, and ask to buy it. See what they say.

2020 Silverado 3.0 Duramax, 46K Miles.  Same code.  Part has been backordered since November.  At first the light was only on once in a while, now it's on all the time. 

I asked the service department if it's ok to continue driving and they said as long as the truck isn't in limp mode, then it should be ok.  Not too happy it has taken this long to get the part and get it fixed.   

On 1/3/2022 at 11:26 AM, Doc76 said:

2020 Silverado 3.0 Duramax, 46K Miles.  Same code.  Part has been backordered since November.  At first the light was only on once in a while, now it's on all the time. 

I asked the service department if it's ok to continue driving and they said as long as the truck isn't in limp mode, then it should be ok.  Not too happy it has taken this long to get the part and get it fixed.   

My check engine light is constantly on. I've been using my Dodge Charger as much as possible and only driving my truck when I need to tow my snowmobiles. I believe this pump cools the turbo. Coolant is still flowing but not fast enough when you start working the motor....such as up a long hill or towing. I noticed the ecu pulling power up hills when towing. This must be because the heat building up in the turbo.  I'm anxious to have the pump replaced asap. Patiently waiting. I really like this diesel.

Edited by lennstang
Fix

Yep. My intercooler pump is on back order also. As of 12/30/2021. I wonder how they do not even have an idea when they will be available. My dealer told me I could not drive it. So I’m stuck in Michigan or I will have travel back home to Florida and fly back to get my truck when it is fixed.