Heavy Steering and Weak Brakes

I have a 2001 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4wd with the 6.0L engine. Over the last couple of days my steering has been feeling slightly heavy first thing in the morning. I just attributed it to the 15 degree weather but today my wife was driving the truck and the steering got extremely heavy when she was trying to pull into a parking space and then the brakes started to feel a little bit spongy. I checked the truck when I got home and it was a little low on power steering fluid (still on the dipstick) and there were not any leaks that I could see. I topped off the power steering fluid, started the truck and turned the wheel back and forth. The steering wheel would turn about a quarte to a half turn before getting really heavy and feeling like the power steering was not working. Pressing the brake pedal down, it would feel normal when you first started pushing it but if you pressed harder it would go spongy and then firm. If I gave the truck a little gas, say hold it at 1000 rpm, the power steering would feel normal.

Is my power steering pump going out or do I just need to flush it? I doubt it has ever been flushed. Or is there something else that could be causing this?

Also, if it needs a new pump what brands are best to go with?  My local NAPA auto parts store has their NAPA Premium line pump with a lifetime warranty in stock, either brand new or remanufactured.   I would have to order an AC/Delco, which I believe is the GM OE replacement.

ACDelco 36P1374 Professional Remanufactured through Amazon. I got one for $110 with a $35 check when core returned, so $75.

I would not get any other brand, but there are others out there, i.e. Borgeson.

Magnefine 3/8" Magnetic Inline Filter through Amazon. $26 and worth it's weight in Gold. Can be placed on the PS return line or the Hydroboost return line. I put mine on the Hydroboost return line but the pressure seems to need a little time to build up when first starting.

Buy only this one, no others compare and not worth saving money on.

Flush and fill with good Power Steering Fluid, don't use ATF. I know everyone says it's the same stuff, but it's about the same price and it's clear and shows dirt better. Also, GM recommends it.

Edited by David03gmc
info

I will have to look that one up.  I have found a couple different part numbers for ACDelco power steering pumps that say they fit this truck.  I will have to do some research and find out what the differences are between them.  I believe that they offered a pump with slightly higher pressures to make turning easier.  Seeing as my truck is lifted and has oversize tires it may be a benefit if I can track down that model. 

As far as the inline filter goes, I read that GM recommended against them in the hydroboost system, most likely due to what you area experiencing on yours with needing to build pressure on initial start up.  

Just ordered a new ACDelco OE pump.  Going to try and tackle that project this weekend.  Probably going to flush and bleed out the brake system while I'm in working in that general area while I'm at it.  The truck has 180,000 miles on it and I doubt either the brake fluid or power steering fluid has ever been touched.