Tailgate lights turned footwell lights

Ordered an extra pair of tailgate lights to convert to footwell lights. Kit came with a wiring harness which made it like oem. 

Used a bottle torch to heat the Stanley knife to "mill" the kick panels on the center console. 

Wiretapping into the BCM, making the footwell lights work with cab lights. They dim down like the rest. Did not use a relay, as each light draws .7 watts.

Wiring harness was just right in length. 

20210202_150557.jpg

20210202_164500.jpg

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Descartian said:

Where exactly did you tap into to have them work with the cab lights?  Getting ready to do a similar mod to my truck. 

Pin 23 on the white connector of the BCM.

9 hours ago, Crosscut said:

I like that idea. Did the kit come with two lights and could you give the part number for the kit?

Yes 2 lights, wiring harness and zip ties. Part #84347814.

Now after I have the part numbers out of the kit, I would use #13510659 for the lights, they are the reused part for a 2018 CHEVY TRAVERSE REAR LICENSE LAMP. For an example... https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-CHEVY-TRAVERSE-REAR-LICENSE-LAMP-13510659-BLACK-10586/324417731422?hash=item4b88cdbb5e:g:-7EAAOSwrYBf18Pu

Then I would buy the wiring harness #84452469, separately.

Save about $40, since a person doesn't need the light to tailgate hole adapters. I did use 1 adapter from the tailgate light install, to cut down and use as a template to "mill" the kick panels. But for $40 dollars,  I can spend the time and measure out the cut with a calipers. 

20210202_155115.jpg

Edited by gemarsh
Added picture of harness