Range Disabler vs. new cam?

Had the P0304 code, removed valve cover appears lifter on intake cylinder #4 is bad no movement on rocker.  Plan to replace all lifters and trays, as well as valve cover on drivers side to fix oil consumption issue.  I'm a weekend mechanic, so replacing cam and all the other associated parts to delete the AFM seems expensive and out of my comfort zone.  So my question is does the Range disabler work?  I'd rather spend $200 on that instead of $2000 for other potential fix?  Thanks 

Yes, it works to stop the AFM from working. But you still have to have those parts in the engine. If that is your plan, then it will work.

If you remove all the AFM parts and put in a non AFM camshaft you need a custom tune done to turn all the codes and master enable table for the AFM system off.

If you're going to replace the lifters and trays, there's no way I'd replace them with the same failure prone parts.  I'd go with non-AFM lifters, cam, etc, tune the AFM out and be done with the entire AFM fiasco

• Like 1