I have 2019 CC Standard Bed GMC Sierra 5.3 4WD.  Either my tank isn't getting full, my gauge isn't working or my tank is not the 24 gallons spec'd for my truck.  When on empty (fuel light on and miles to empty showing low), it only took 20.5 gallons of gas.  I filled it till the pump shut off, but the gauge is showing slightly below full. This has happened at 4 different gas stations (2 Costcos, 1 Shell and 1 Fast Trip).  

Has anyone else had this issue?  I am still under warranty, but I was hoping to have an Idea of the issue before I went back to the dealer.  

• 2 weeks later...

Set one of the trip meters when you fill up.

Next fill, use the trip MPG and the miles driven and see if that matches the gallons pumped.

FWIW, mine the 'low fuel' light seems to come on somewhere around 60 miles range.

Range screen changes to 'low' somewhere around 50 miles. 

Range estimate depends on the 'recent' fuel economy it's been getting (last 25??).

Imo, they are trying to reduce they chances that someone has to walk...(I can imagine the uproar if 'they' don't warn us soon enough!!)

Imo, it's good to know 'about' how much fuel is left when the warnings start. 

On 3/5/2021 at 11:40 AM, cpttimerestraint said:

I have 2019 CC Standard Bed GMC Sierra 5.3 4WD.  Either my tank isn't getting full, my gauge isn't working or my tank is not the 24 gallons spec'd for my truck.  When on empty (fuel light on and miles to empty showing low), it only took 20.5 gallons of gas.  I filled it till the pump shut off, but the gauge is showing slightly below full. This has happened at 4 different gas stations (2 Costcos, 1 Shell and 1 Fast Trip).  

Has anyone else had this issue?  I am still under warranty, but I was hoping to have an Idea of the issue before I went back to the dealer.  

My 2019 Silverado had the same issue - dealer replaced the electronic fuel level sensor, and that solved it.

You may have a slightly faulty sensor, but I've always understood that when the low fuel light comes on you have about 10% left in the tank which would be about 2.5 gallons and in most vehicles. That would get you about 30 to 60 miles before you completely run out of fuel.

I've tested this on past vehicles by carrying a 5 gallon gas can and running until empty to see how far I could go after the low fuel light came on.

My 2003 Hemi went over 60 miles before it quit. I had the 26 gallon tank.

I was getting about 22-25 mpg so that seemed close enough.

Word of warning: You don't want to do this too many times as the electronic fuel pump in the tank relies on the fuel to keep it cool.

Once is enough.

When filling at a station, I will allow the hose to shut off and wait about a minute ( or wash the windows.) and run it again until it shuts off once more. Gains another 1/2 to a 1 gallon in my 2020 Silverado 3.0 Duramax.

Fuel pump thing may have been an issue when first used to replace the mechanical ones, but I don't think it is anymore (at least for GM pickups).

I've been a frequent user of the 'low fuel' light for at least the last 15 years.

(nope, never had to walk or send for fuel)

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear.

The "fuel pump thing" you talk about is when you "run out of fuel". 

Not when the low fuel warning light comes on.

I guarantee you the fuel pump in the tank will get hot and burn out if you run out of fuel too often. The fuel is used to cool the pump.

I worked for 31 years at AC Delco and many of those were in the electric fuel pump division.