Dealer Service Rant

So difficult to find a good service department these days. I've had a few issues with them in the past, but this one was ridiculous. Had the truck in for the brake pad TSB. First issue I caught right away - mechanic did not fully seat the front wear sensor - forum member here helped me figure that out.

Discovered 2 new issues today resulting from that same visit. I am heading out with the fifth wheel tomorrow, and I needed to add a few pounds of air to the tires. Guess what?  DumbA$$ mechanic clocked the rear wheels, so I could not access the inner valve stem.

I discovered the second issue when I pulled the wheels to correct. DRW rears take a bit of patience and care to get on correctly. This guy had 0. He must have used a damn impact to flush them up and pinched both outer aluminum wheels as they went on crooked. Passenger side was worst - pictures attached. You can see the strip of aluminum in my hand that came out with the wheel.  Gave my advisor an earful, and they will replace my rims if I ask them to. Don' think this will cause any future issues, but I may tell them to put the new rims in the queue for when I need tires.

Unreal.

Colt Sheel Pinch 2.jpg

Colt Wheel Pinch 1.jpg

If you have something nice - and you keep it very nice - and you know how to work on it, and have the tools, knowledge, and space, but you let someone else work on? It's virtually guaranteed they will not only _not_ do the work to your standards, they may very well F things up / damage things also. It's like mechanic's reverse karma or something...

Edited by powderMonkey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, powderMonkey said:

If you have something nice - and you keep it very nice - and you know how to work on it, and have the tools, knowledge, and space, but you let someone else work on? It's virtually guaranteed they will not only _not_ do the work to your standards, they may very well F things up / damage things also. It's like mechanic's reverse karma or something...

Interesting perspective. There are definitely a lot of great, professional mechanics out there, but issues like mine happen way to often. I think it is a lack of training/knowledge, lack of attention to detail, lack of pride and, finally, a rushed environment to get things done...

It's just been my experience across gunsmithing, motorcycle maintenance, travel trailers, SxS's, vehicles...  Etc...

And absolutely - I won't disparage the professionalism of most techs as a whole. But I think you are right on with your last point.  A rushed environment.  Labor / warranty time guides. Work Order time constraints and pushy service managers. And also they assume most people won't notice small scrapes, dings, etc...  Or giant shaved off pieces of Alcoa aluminum. So they just haul ass and blow through it. And tear ISH up...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tomato said:

Interesting perspective. There are definitely a lot of great, professional mechanics out there, but issues like mine happen way to often. I think it is a lack of training/knowledge, lack of attention to detail, lack of pride and, finally, a rushed environment to get things done...

I dont know if its training, environment, or just the people.  But the problem with most mechanics is they dont troubleshoot anymore.  It is hook it to the computer or drive it a mile to see.  They dont put things on lifts checks torque, check function etc anymore.

As a younger me I had a one stop shop at my disposal whose front man knew every part by hart and every machining clearance for every piece of machinery he would ever likely run across. Cecil knew every part that would physically bolt into just about any space for those times the exact fit wasn't available. Like that a Ford FE 390 standard piston is a great replacement piston for the Ford 300 inline six!! That BBC points are a drop in for a HD Shovelhead. That the vacuum canister for advance on a mid 50's FOMOCO distributor will drop right in a later model 60's Motorcraft adding adjustability to newer model dispensed with. And talk about a machinist and assemblyman! 

Before I left that area NAPA bought that store and within six months stopped all machining and replace Cecil with a catalog and a pimple faced twit that couldn't find the page numbers. If it wasn't designed and built for that space nor in that book.....not only would it not fit...you were not allowed to buy it even if you knew better. 

Few things are 'rebuilt in house' anymore. Just replaced so the wrench changing it has lost his 'feel' for the work. Yes exceptions exist but it use to be every man in the shop and now..... We even have a GM dealer local who sends all his transmission work to another dealer as they are not large enough to send one of there own to the proper schools. 

Some things can not be taught; feel for the work and caring among them. 

I refuse to let some kid making 8.50 $ an hour learn how to wrench....... on my truck, that's whats happening. Hasn't, can't , work on his own car or truck, doesn't have one.

Edited by gearheadesw
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gearheadesw said:

I refuse to let some kid making 8.50 $ and hour learn how to wrench....... on my truck, that's whats happening. Hasn't, can't , work on his own car or truck, doesn't have one.

Last time I let a dealer have free reign over a vehicle of mine I owned a 89 Mustang 5.0. Caught the Porter doing smoky burnouts across the back of their lot. Yea, he was about 16. 

• Like 1