Android Auto malfunctions

Hello y'all! Here's some info... I own a 2018 Silverado with 8" touch screen and use a Samsung S8 phone. When using navigation weather it be Google Maps or Waze my screen jumps around. Jumps ahead, to the far left and far right. It also stutters. It doesn't always do it but does it enough. It's very frustrating to say the least. Has anyone else had this issue and were you able to fix it? If so how? I'm at the end of my rope here.

I had exact problem with my Galaxy Note 8. It worked fine when I first got it but then began doing the same thing. I could sometimes toggle location and it would help for a little while but would end up doing it again. I complained on Android Auto forum and they blamed Samsung and Chevy. I complained on Samsung forum and they blamed Chevy and Waze. I complained on Waze forums and they blamed Android Auto. And IIRC, Chevy blamed both of them. I never did get it fixed. The only thing that worked was getting rid of the Note 8 and upgrading. I know have a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5g and it pretty much solved the problem. I will occasionally get freezes but few and far between. One suggestion you could try is to uninstall Android Auto and Waze, restart the phone and install fresh copies of each. If that doesn't work, you may have to upgrade or go with a different brand. The problem did seem to happen a lot with the Samsung Galaxy S8 and the Note 8 for some reason...

I really hate to be "that person" aka Apple fan boy, but my iPhone, even running the IOS 15 Beta (I'm a developer), the only issue I've had is connectivity, on occasion, wherein the infotainment screen is still looking for the phone after plugging in the USB.
A simple unplug and replug always connects it.
I wish I had more experience with Android to help but this is all I can add ... sorry. :(

Edited by MikeBMW

5 hours ago, CrawlSlow said:

Try different cable, try different phone, if all fails try reprogram the HMI.

For whatever reason, Samsung Galaxy S8 phones as well as the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 like I had were known for problems with Android Auto. I dealt with it for a while and discovered that there were many others in the same boat. There was a lot of fingerpointing from all sides but no one seemed to want to or be able to solve it. The only solution I found was switching to a newer phone. And I am still using the same USB-C cable that I was originally using on my Note 8 on my Note 20 and it works just fine. 

9 hours ago, CrawlSlow said:

For note 8 or s8, enable developers mode and change usb type to MDI as default and see if that helps. If not, just use your note 20. 

I actually enable Developer Mode on all my phones as one of the first things I do after getting it. I went through all of that including even opening developer mode inside of Android Auto after the AA folks had me do it. That can be done by opening Android Auto on your phone, going into AA settings, tap on version info 10 times and then switching developer mode on and off by clicking on the 3 dots in upper right while in AA settings. Like I mentioned, for S8 and Note 8, it's a known problem that none of the involved parties including Android Auto, Waze, Samsung, or Chevrolet seem to be able to or want to solve. And now that both the S8 and Note 8 are basically obsolete, I think it's pretty much going to be ignored. 

Edited by mikeyk101

10 hours ago, mikeyk101 said:

For whatever reason, Samsung Galaxy S8 phones as well as the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 like I had were known for problems with Android Auto. I dealt with it for a while and discovered that there were many others in the same boat. There was a lot of fingerpointing from all sides but no one seemed to want to or be able to solve it. The only solution I found was switching to a newer phone. And I am still using the same USB-C cable that I was originally using on my Note 8 on my Note 20 and it works just fine. 

S8 was really not a great phone (compared to various other gens, like S7 was good). Samsung tends to have an every other version type of thing like Microsoft does.

Also too, the S8 is over 4 years old now so I wouldn't be surprised if people have issues with it still.

• Like 1