Oil pressure about 20 and 17

8 minutes ago, Steve_rayan said:

Thanks newdude ,

the outside temperature is 100f now and no i don’t get any warring on the dashboard 

Sounds like its working fine then.  100F outside so everything is hot so the oil temps are probably a touch higher than normal but still in a safe zone, hence the slight dip in hot engine oil pressure.    

Edited by newdude

Thanks, I really appreciate your reply.

Please advise what is the normal operating range for the oil pressure.

and what is normal for the 100F and above weather?

also can you please be kind and explain the relation between the outside weather and the oil pressure readings.

Thanks in advance :)

46 minutes ago, Steve_rayan said:

also can you please be kind and explain the relation between the outside weather and the oil pressure readings.

The ambient temp causes the engine to heat up a little faster. It might cause the engine operating temp to read a little higher in some places like Iraq or Kuwait.  That’s the only relationship.   Once the engine is “heat soaked” it might read higher in some climates but just a few degrees.  U might or might not see the difference.  IMO.  But who am i

Edited by TxVet33
Me

20 hours ago, Steve_rayan said:

Well, GM just has a minimum spec of 6 psi per 1000rpm.  So if your engine was say stuck idling at 1000rpm, 6psi is the bottom of the barrel.

Typical operation on these trucks, 20-30psi at idle, 38-42psi cruising.  40-50psi under 3500rpm acceleration.  Anything over 3500rpm the oil pump moves into the high pressure stage and the gauge can jump up to 60+psi.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, newdude said:

Well, GM just has a minimum spec of 6 psi per 1000rpm.  So if your engine was say stuck idling at 1000rpm, 6psi is the bottom of the barrel.

Typical operation on these trucks, 20-30psi at idle, 38-42psi cruising.  40-50psi under 3500rpm acceleration.  Anything over 3500rpm the oil pump moves into the high pressure stage and the gauge can jump up to 60+psi.  

Good to know mine is 'normal' A bit over 30 hot idle, 38-40 cruising (55 mph 3.23 gear, stock tire) . 45-55 spirted under 3500 and pegs the gauge near red line. 

If 0-20w is the issue. What is everyone running in their 5.3’s?   Mine in my ‘19 Yukon  doesn’t have a 30psi difference. Mine at most has a 10psi difference???  MIne idles at 550 rpm.  At speed mine reads 50psi.  

Oil viscosity vs oil temperature 

VISTemp.png.d712c69d4c6474983c2685029bb450aa.png

3 or cSt in viscosity will not show on a dash gauge. 

Remember these trucks use the water cooling system to cool and heat the oil. Even if the water temperature is 10 C higher this results in but a 3 or 4 cSt change in viscosity. If you think you really need more viscosity protection find a suitable synthetic 0W20 or 5W20 with a HTHS of 3 cP or better.