Recommendations for rear camera install

I need Recommendations for rear camera install.  I am installing the VanTop H612T dual dash camera system.  I have the existing OEM back up camera on the tailgate that i will still utilize.  The purpose of the VanTop is for front camera viewing and recording and the rear camera for viewing and recording.  I will NOT be using the VanTop as a back up camera.  I CANNOT mount the rear camera inside on the rear window as i have blackout tint installed.  So the rear camera must be mounted outside.  I am including pics with yellow marks where i am considering mounting the rear camera.  One thought is on the OUTSIDE rear window in the middle (the trim just below the sliding glass).  I realize the bed and bed cover will reduce visibility greatly, but the camera angle is adjustable.  Other two options are mounting just to left of the license plate by trailer wire harness connection or on the top middle of the license plate itself.  I will be running all rear camera wires thru the firewall and under the truck.  What are y'all's thoughts and suggestions on where to mount it?  Lot of options that have pros & cons.  Thank you in advance!

5014BBFF-FE2F-44DD-9434-71CA4E547FFA.jpeg

B19C6EBD-FED6-4503-8AEA-D09FBD8B87DF.jpeg

7CAFD95A-238B-49F4-B71C-DAB530BBA0EF.png

Well I’ve thought and thought about and I think I have the best plan.  I’m going to route the rear camera wiring thru the firewall- under the truck to where the bed meets the cab- then up to the left side of the rear glass.  There is a small seam between the glass and the cab all around.  I hope I can tuck the wire in these seam and mount it on the top molding of the sliding glass part that obviously doesn’t slide.  May try and use a very small bead of silicone to help hold wire.  Should conceal rear camera wire very well.  Camera is supposed to be in Thursday, so will attempt this weekend. Fingers crossed 🤞 

C04DDFF3-3115-4B61-85C8-91C0CC1DCD14.jpeg

Just saw your post, after reading your initial post and seeing those pics, I was gonna recommend exactly what you came up with in your second post.  Better view for the camera (& recording, just in case) than the other locations in my opinion.

Edited by RCF71
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, Lam... Qwerty, after the dashcam/mirror install and having sometime to get used to it... what are your overall thoughts on the Vantop HF612L?

Is the display strapped to the mirror appear bulky or odd, or is barely noticable?

Do you have any photo's of how/where you finally mounted the rear view camera?

I'm considering adding an additional rear view camera since I purchased a Boyo mirror with two inputs. I intend to use one for the front for parking and off roading and the rear just because I can. I want a factory 3rd brake light with the bedview camera just without the factory camera so I can fit an aftermarket in there that will have an RCA style video plug on the other end. I've run across a Rostra rear view replacement mirror that has a built in front camera on the backside of the mirror and has an input for a rear camera as well, but I believe it only records on the front camera.