USB Port - Extra Female mini usb port in back / Convert wired carplay to wireless carplay

I have a 2021 1500 LT Trail Boss. My truck has wired carplay and I bought the Car Linkit dongle and it works perfect. Actually better than my friend's truck with wireless carplay, which cuts out... (https://www.carlinkitfactory.com/product/new-2-0-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay/) With this device you have to plug it into the usb or usb-c which connects to the carplay / infotainment system. I hid the cable fairly well but would still like to hard wire it. When I pull the USB unit from the dash, there are 3 female ports in the back, 1 rectangular pin port and 2 mini usb female ports (labeled "key a" and "key b". The pin port and one of the mini usb ports (key b) have wired male connections to them, but the extra mini usb port (key b) is not connected. Does anyone know what this can be used for? My hope is that you can use this to add an additional usb port to connect to the car linkit dongle so wires would be hidden behind dash. 

Any other suggestions on how to hardwire this? You can connect to the car linkit with either usb or usb-c as it has a port option for both. 

usb port 2.jpg

usb port 1.jpg

5 hours ago, DougKG said:

Hi. It appears you have wireless carplay. They can come in wireless or wired carplay. If wired, you can buy the dongle above. I am just looking for a way to hard wire the usb cord which powers and connects the dongle. 

Thanks, I wasn’t aware there was a wired and wireless option. Seems almost silly for it to not be wireless in todays world. 

Anyhow, I realize you aren’t looking to add a wireless charger but this video shows you how to disassemble and tap into the rear facing USB ports in the center console, which may be a solution for you. 

Thinking about it I’m curious if you could use the dongle to connect the wireless charger and trick it into working. Didn’t post for that purpose but rather just an idea. 

Edited by 1AT4

Thanks for the reply. Yes, they make a wireless and wired, seems odd to me as well as I assume the wired version would cost little more for them to make. 

The issue with trying to connect from the back USB ports (back of console) are those are power / charge only. When you have wired carplay, it has to be connected to the data ports on the dash as the dongle device becomes what is wired to the infotainment system and you connect your phone to the dongle via WiFi making it wireless. 

I did add the wireless charger to the arm rest / console lid and it was simple--connecting into the 12V wires on the back of console. 

I did buy the mini usd cable AC Delco 84022323 (link below) and ran it from the open port on back of current usb to the new usb port and it does not seem to work. 

So my question remains, what is the third port (unused mini usb on the back of the dash data usb unit? I have spoken to audio shops, chevy techs, and looked online for days and cannot find an answer. I assume it may possibly be for some other equipment and its just a universal unit... 

I think 19 and 20's were mostly wired. I know for sure in 2021 the 7" radios are the wired carplay/android auto, the 8" ones are wireless. I think this was a full model year thing and not a mid-year introduction.

SOLUTION. 

All. I found a solution and although still fairly confused on that data wire. What I ended up doing was shaving down the USB / Data port on the front, below the toggle switches, and fitting it behind the dash. I spliced into the pin connector (rectangular 3 wire plug) and connected a second one I purchased from GM. I connected the second pin connector to a charging only USB port (pulled from back of my console - GM 13525889) and plugged that into the original USB / Data port hole. The wireless carplay adapter is plugged into the USB / Data port behind the dash so no wires are seen. The charging only port is charging fine and the carplay links up with no issues. 

What still gets me is that I could not find a way to extend the data cable so it could be run to the console port. I tried every type of wire and cable I could find. I tried using the third mini USB plug / cable from gm and it would not work. As it is carplay, I even tried splicing / extending with several different apple charging cables and they would not work. Simply, that factory cable that connects to the data port on the USB / Data plug is the only type of wire that seems to work and it does not appear it can be purchased at this time. Still bugging me but I got done what I needed to do and everything is working fine. 

As for adding the center console charging port, this was simple. I purchased 2 USB ports (GM 13525889 - will show it des not fit 2021 Chevy but it does as this is the same part I pulled from the back console to use for the dash). I spliced the 3 wire pin connector, added a second pin connector, ran it at the lower driver side of the console and up to the port hole inside of the console. Both USB charging units are working fine. 

Again, got it done but why you cannot extend the data, mini USB wire is still bugging me... 

I also added the wireless charger to the armrest. Works great and still charges my Iphone 12 pro max but it does not fit all the way in even without a case. I have a very thin case but it still gets in enough to be secure and charge. 

• Like 1

Glad to find this thread as I've been wanting to leverage wireless car play without having a dongle dangling from the dash. 

Regarding your observation: "I did buy the mini usd cable AC Delco 84022323 (link below) and ran it from the open port on back of current usb to the new usb port and it does not seem to work "

I wonder if the new USB port (GM 13525889) connected via a mini USB cable from 'key a' will only function when there is also dedicated power going to its rectangular 3-wire connection... Thoughts? When you observed that the new USB port didn't work, did you have power to it in addition to the mini usb feed from 'key a'?

Would like to do this exact same thing, however the solution isnt really clear to me since it is all text. 

Tried to add center console port as a data port from the front USB via splicing, etc. didnt work. 

So your solution was that u used the front usb port and pushed it in and connected it behind the dash? 

I am a little confused as I've been trying to find a way to make a harness for this. I am sure you can make a harness and tap into the front USB and connect it to a USB port purchased to add into the center console?

Do you have pictures of this install? 

Thanks.

All. Sorry have been out of town but would like to respond to your questions. I do not have pictures of the install but can come up with a few as I am planning on changing my wireless charging tray from the armrest to the console bin below the dash. The armrest charging tray works fine, but does not fit my Iphone 12 with a otterbox case... Also it is high and makes stuff slide off... 

As for the wireless carplay, I will add more to this tonight but the basics are:

1. For whatever reason, I could not splice and extend the data cable. I thought that it runs through a circuit that having 2 caused the issue; however, even when you simply try to extend the cable with out splicing, it does not work. Therefore, I spliced the charging cable (pin connector with 3 thicker wires only. 

2. I bought a second USB port and spliced that into the charging cable (pin 3 wire) and left the data cable alone. I shaved down the box / case of the usb / data connector so it was as small as possible and placed in behind the dash, behind the empty port where some trucks have a 110 volt plugin. I then used the new charge only port in the dash. You can only connect carplay with wifi / bluetooth if you do this as the charging / data usb port will be behind the dash. This is fine with me. 

There is something about the wires used on the data cable that would not allow me to extend. At some point, I may purchase the wire harness kit for the infotainment system, I think the harness is about $70, and see if the actual MFG cable will allow me to extend. 

According to Chevy, the 2021 models have a different code set and electronics / computer that does not allow you to use the third port mini usb connector to add an additional usb / data port. 

On 12/6/2021 at 10:19 PM, jknap said:

Also, can anyone share the part number for the pin connector (rectangular 3 wire plug) used in this solution?

I think it is part of the entire stereo / infotainment wire harness system and can not be purchased separately. I would call your chevy parts department and see if they have the harness system in stock. Many third party shops on Amazon that well wireless trays do have aftermarket adaptors but they only work with the charging and not data. Check out White Audio and Media Services. They have some cool stuff and the people there are very helpful and will refer you to someone if they dont have it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 10:19 PM, jknap said:

Also, can anyone share the part number for the pin connector (rectangular 3 wire plug) used in this solution?

From what I found, you cannot just buy the 3 wire pin connector. It is part of the entire wire harness. I believe the harness is around $80 from GM but cannot find the part number. I was able to get one at a salvage yard by pure luck... 

On 12/6/2021 at 10:13 PM, jknap said:

Glad to find this thread as I've been wanting to leverage wireless car play without having a dongle dangling from the dash. 

Regarding your observation: "I did buy the mini usd cable AC Delco 84022323 (link below) and ran it from the open port on back of current usb to the new usb port and it does not seem to work "

I wonder if the new USB port (GM 13525889) connected via a mini USB cable from 'key a' will only function when there is also dedicated power going to its rectangular 3-wire connection... Thoughts? When you observed that the new USB port didn't work, did you have power to it in addition to the mini usb feed from 'key a'?

Yes, I did have power. I spliced the data cable as well as the power. The 3-pin power cable is fine to splice; however, when you splice the data cable or try to use a mini usb connector to run from key a to the new data usb in key b it does not work. I think it may have something to do with the computer or that the data usb's are a circuit board that is not programmed to be added to. I even simply tried to simply extend both wire systems so the data port is in the console, and run a power only in the dash. Even trying to extend the data cable makes it not operate--maybe something to do with the wires. I would assume it would work if you had a factory wire but I am okay with just hiding it in the dash as the only thing I need the data port for is carplay. With any other phone, such as a guest or passenger, they can connect with bluetooth--just not for carplay.