Custom aftermarket radio application development

Has anyone ever developed a custom application for one of the later model double din head units? Last time I looked at my Alpine, I was pretty sure it said it was all open-source, so I was considering playing around with it. I know some of them are actually android OS, which I can definitely handle.

My thought was to build an app that would allow me to read data from an HP Tuner and display it like you would running with a laptop in the vehicle with you. There really isn't a lot that would make this an overly difficult task. The only hurdle would be having a head unit that is truly "open-source." If that's the case, I should be able to develop an app just like Pandora, or iHeartRadio, or any others that you can download.

Just curious if this has been done or if anyone knows anyone that's tried it before.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shakenfake said:

You could always just put a Windows Tablet and use bondoglass to get it to sit in there right.

I did consider this. One of my other hobbies is 3D printing so custom making a bracket or dash panel to make it fit wouldn't be too bad.

The only problem I would have then would be audio and backup camera. I don't doubt being able to make it work, but haven't even considered before so I might have to do some additional research on this option.

You drive an RCSB. If you need a backup camera you don't deserve a license lol

Audio is just putting the head unit in the center console though. Not hard at all especially since the 03-07 console has that bezel you can use connected to the dash.

Just now, shakenfake said:

Audio is just putting the head unit in the center console though. Not hard at all especially since the 03-07 console has that bezel you can use connected to the dash.

I get what you mean about the backup camera. lol

While I am very capable of backing without a camera (in fact, I don't use a backup camera when trailering EVER) It's just a convenience I've gotten use to. I actually will turn the back camera on now if I race someone so I can see if I pull them hard. lol I call it my "GapCam." lol

Yeah, I've got that cover as far as audio, I guess I meant running audio through the Windows tablet and getting rid of the double din head unit all together.

7 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

Wait until you get older. My Avalanche I use mirrors. My vehicles with cameras I use them. Cranking the neck around can be hazardous to your health. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

Actually here, even better you can do a double din in the center console of that truck. Put it in the bezel portion.

Are you talking about down below where those cubby things are?

IMG_8372.JPG

4 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Wait until you get older. My Avalanche I use mirrors. My vehicles with cameras I use them. Cranking the neck around can be hazardous to your health. 

Oh no I agree, every car that has a camera I use it haha. I just don't put aftermarket cameras in

And yes that is what I am talking about

• Like 1