Vortec 6000 LY6 V8: ticking sound at startup

Hi Folks,

Does my engine sound normal? I notice there’s some ticking noise at startup, and it goes away in 1 minute or so. Thanks!

Edited by Justin Jia
Grammar
  • Like 1

Sounds normal to me.  They are known for piston slap on start up.  Might change brands of oil, not viscosity, and see if that clears up the noise.  It did for me when I switched off regular Mobil One for ACDelco's oil.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Sounds normal to me.  They are known for piston slap on start up.  Might change brands of oil, not viscosity, and see if that clears up the noise.  It did for me when I switched off regular Mobil One for ACDelco's oil.  

Thanks!  I’ll try and see if it makes a difference.   

• Like 1

Kinda sounds like a minor exhaust leak but hard to say for sure. Broken exhaust manifold bolts are fairly common on these trucks. Possible that it's a lifter too, that as well is a pretty normal LS engine noise to hear.

• Thanks 1

Normal, assuming you have no broken manifold bolts.  

#PIP5104B: Cold Engine Tick Noise That May Last Up To 50 Seconds - (Feb 9, 2016)

Models:  2009-2013 Cadillac Escalade Models
2009-2015 Chevrolet Express, Silverado, Suburban
2009-2015 GMC Savana, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
With any of the following V8 Engine RPO Codes: 6.0L - L76, L96, LC8, LY6, 6.2L- L94 L9H

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

You may have a vehicle with a concern of cold engine tick noise.

This concern will diminish within 50 seconds of a cold start.

The noise shuts off like you have flipped a switch.

This concern may be a vehicle design characteristic as the ECM calibration is designed to meet cold start emissions.

The noise that you hear is actually combustion taking place in the exhaust manifold. When the timer hits the 50 seconds it advances the timing and the noise is immediately gone.

Recommendation/Instructions

Be sure to determine if the tick noise is possibly coming from the exhaust manifold, as this noise could easily be mistaken for an engine tick noise.

If your SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of this concern, and all of the following statements apply, this concern should be considered a vehicle design characteristic of the ECM calibration and no additional repairs should be performed:

1. The concern has been present since the vehicle was new.
  2. The concern is greatly improved or eliminated if the engine is allowed to warm up for 1 minute.
  3. The concern is present on a similarly equipped vehicle.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1