Door handle swap mishap

So I was swapping my exterior door handles from black to color matched tonight.  Three were swapped out in under ten minutes, I was getting cocky thinking it was super easy.  I pulled the last one off ( rear passenger side), and as I stepped away to get the new handle to put on, I hear a pop.  I didn’t really think anything of it but as soon as I put the new handle in, it went all the way in without the mechanism grabbing it.  I guess the darn mechanism had flipped shut somehow?

I tried tightening the T20 torx screw at end of door to start over but that didn’t do anything, so I loosened it back up.  as I loosened it I hear the terrible clank sound of the scew falling out and down into the door cavity.  Lucky me I know.  So now I have to do a quick search for tutorial on door panel removal on these trucks.  Door panel removed for the first time in my new truck in less than 6 months of owning it ugh.  I found the screw and re-installed it but still nothing.  I removed the screw that’s on outside of door that holds the mechanism in place to get a better look.  I see the part that holds the door handle, but I can’t figure out how it functions to stay in the out position.  

Has anyone else messed around with the door handle mechanisms yet?  I don’t even see how the torx screw that is loosened does anything; it’s at bottom of the mechanism not connected to anything.  

Need help asap as the door is open; read horror stories of people shutting the door with handles off and.l not able to get the doors back open.  Don’t know what to do.  Don’t want to close door all the way, but can’t take it anywhere to have it looked at with door open obviously.

attached is what the mechanism looks like through the inside of the door with panel removed in case anyone was wondering.

92E115EE-ACE0-4B91-A9EA-6AABEC6FC2FF.jpeg

Was able to figure it out and get new handle installed.  I pulled the cable off the mechanism and pulled it out so I could see what was going on with it.  Apparently the torx screw that has to be loosened/tightened to install & remove the handle had popped out of its guide,  not allowing the assembly to slide over to engage the handle.  I was able to pop the screw back into its correct place and re-install.  Then handle went right into place.  

I’m just glad I had removed the door panel before the door was ever closed;

would have been a real nightmare if it was still on and I couldn’t get to the handle mechanism.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, denny noname said:

Where did you get color matched handles and how much were they?

Thanks 

I ordered a set of smooth oem handles and had my local body shop paint them.  All in cost me right at $400.

14 hours ago, Sonders said:

I ordered a set of smooth oem handles and had my local body shop paint them.  All in cost me right at $400.

Where did you order them from? That's pretty much the set I need. I keep finding the the passive entry ones, not sure they are interchangeable. Have found the kind you got but haven't found the driver's handle with the keyhole. 

5 minutes ago, denny noname said:

Where did you order them from? That's pretty much the set I need. I keep finding the the passive entry ones, not sure they are interchangeable. Have found the kind you got but haven't found the driver's handle with the keyhole. 

i just went into local dealer and ordered them.  When I get home tonight I’ll look at the part numbers on the bags.

9 minutes ago, Sonders said:

i just went into local dealer and ordered them.  When I get home tonight I’ll look at the part numbers on the bags.

OK thanks, I haven't had much luck with the dealers locally.  They quoted me $400 just to paint the handles.

Gm part number 1352-6759 is complete handle assembly.  I have 2 boxes with that part number.  I threw the other 2 boxes away, so I’m guessing that’s the 3 doors that are the same; probably a different part number for the drivers door with the key hole.  I’ve got my black take offs if you want them to have painted.  I’d sell them cheap.  Let me know if interested.

20 minutes ago, denny noname said:

I think the black ones you have is what I have on my truck now. I want to get the ones that color match the body.

Right, didn’t know if you’d want to send a set to have painted then install once completed.  I couldn’t find silver handles.  Found a few sets of other colors but they were $600-$800.  That was a bit much for me and figured silver would be same price range so I opted to just get some black ones and have painted.

Yeah they’re the textured black.  They can be painted, just requires sanding to get them smooth first.  Was just an offer.  Hopefully you can find something that’ll work for you.

Thanks, I'll do what you did if i can find part number for key hole handle. The other 3 handles is the number you referenced earlier. It just looks so much better painted with body color.

Definitely looks better, blends in with the body instead of sticking out like a sore thumb.  I’m kind of surprised the key hole is even visible on drivers door.  A lot of vehicles have done away with that and have cover over it.  If your key fob dies and need to use key you simply pop cover off to access the lock.  I believe the cover on these handles could probably be modified to do the same, I just am not going to be the person to figure it out since I already installed mine haha.  Probably just file down the tab on the back so it doesn’t lock into the door opening is all it would take, then could use all 4 of the same handles and covers.

• Like 1