Google Maps on 2022 refresh, getting data

So I've read multiple threads regarding the functionality of the built-in Google Maps working or not working WITHOUT a data plan and some mention it flat out does nothing like inputting a location and getting directions to it and others say it works. If it is connected to a hotspot does the built-in Google Map capable of giving directions minus the "Advanced Feature - speed limit display and Hey Google"? Just trying to understand the design it was meant to be.

I still don't full understand all this data stuff either.  I can tell you this.. once my 1 month free data plan expired, it told me I needed to pay $15 per month to have  "app access"   I did this because I prefer to play YouTube music directly through the truck OS.. rather than my though my phone/android auto.  The sound quality/bit rate is much better. I couldn't figure out how my old 2019 BOSE  stereo sounded much better... then I started trying things and discovered this.  Any yes, my G maps work fine...it always runs on my main screen.